News 2011-12





Dorset Premier League

The previous season (2010/11) we had finished in third place in the league so we knew we weren’t that far off having a good side.

Manager Kevin Leigh introduced several new signings to the squad for the start of the season and with this

added quality and strength in depth, things began to take shape.

The opening game of the season was a nice home fixture against Hamworthy Utd Reserves and the team performed beyond our expectations by winning 11-0.

What a start and this was quickly followed by a midweek visit to local rivals Sherborne Town and again we ran amok, winning 6-0 !

A 4-1 away victory at Merley Cobham and an 8-0 thrashing of Shaftesbury made it four wins out of four and a stunning goal tally of 29 goals in our first four games.

The pace slowed a bit (as it had to eventually) with a 3-1 home victory over Poole Borough but we then came unstuck in our next fixture, losing 2-0 to Wincanton at home.

This was a setback and we struggled a bit in our next two matches, winning 2-1 at home v  Bridport Reserves

and 3-2 away at Sturminster Marshall. We were struggling to keep a settled side during this period with injuries and suspensions kicking in so it was good that we were still getting the victories and the three points.

Parley away was next and a 25 yard screamer by Aaron Mead into the top corner capped a confident display

and a 3-0 victory.

A visit to Swanage Town followed and unbelievably we lost 1-0 ! I say unbelievably as it was one of the most one sided games I have seen this season but somehow we missed chance after chance and Swanage scored with their only shot on target.

So, ten matches played and two defeats was not bad and kept us near the top, but there was a long way to go and some big matches to come.

In match 11 we got back on song with a 3-1 victory over Holt at Alvington but stuttered again in the next match, drawing 3-3 at Blandford after being 2-0 down after 5 minutes.

Moving into November we had a tough schedule, and one we knew could make or break our league challenge.

In particular, an away match at Hamworthy Recreation followed by a visit to Portland the following week would

be tough as they were the teams currently out in front in the race for the league title.

First, though, we had Weymouth at home and we won that one comfortably by 4-0.

Next up was Ham Rec away and there is no doubt we rode our luck there as they missed a penalty with 10 minutes to go and we had to hang on with 10 men for the remainder of the game to escape with a 1-1 draw. What this game showed was that we were a tough team to beat and had the battling qualities required when up against it.

League leaders Portland away was the next challenge and once again we got a good point with a 1-1 draw.

This match was memorable for a penalty save by Ashley Knibbs in the first half and a thumping equaliser by

Dean Corden after Portland had gone ahead. Two successive draws but hard earned points which may be

crucial in the final day of reckoning.

We returned to winning ways with a satisfactory 3-1 defeat of Chickerell at home and this was followed by a visit to Cranborne which saw us scrape through 2-1 with a last minute Sam Jarman header.

Our first match of the New Year was a local derby at Tintinhull. These games are always a bit of a worry but we absolutely destroyed them with a scintillating 5-0 win.

Due to a quirk in the fixtures, the following week saw us face Tintinhull in the return match at Alvington and again we were fairly easy winners, this time by 3-0.

We kept our winning run going and made it 5 wins on the trot with a 3-0 victory at Hamworthy Utd Reserves . This was followed by a 3-2 home win against Parley with a late goal by Lewis Morgan claiming all three points.

Another derby followed with the visit of Sherborne Town to Alvington and another Lewis Morgan winner gave us an odd goal victory by 2-1.

Cranborne were the next visitors and this time we made them suffer with an 8-0 victory, giving us our eighth successive league win.

A tough fixture away to Weymouth followed and again we had to battle hard for our 2-0 victory, a Mike Rousell brace securing the points.

A comfortable 3-1 win at home to Blandford and another home win by 4-0 against Merley Cobham made it 11 wins and we were right back in the race for the title.

We were now into April and the games were coming thick and fast. A midweek trip to Shaftesbury gave us a bit of a fright when we found ourselves 2-0 down at half-time, but one again we showed our battling qualities to win 3-2, Lewis Morgan again getting the winner this time from the penalty spot to secure our twelfth straight win.

Now came a run of games that we knew were absolutely crucial to our league challenge. Hamworthy Rec  then Portland at home followed by Wincanton away. These were the first three in the table but we were lying fourth with games in hand so really at this stage the title could go to any one of these four clubs.

Hamworthy Rec were first up at Alvington and we blew them away in the first 20 minutes by which time we were two goals in front and it could have been more. Rec pulled one back but we ran out good winners and three crucial points were gained.

The following week Portland came to Alvington and after a close first half it was 0-0 at half-time. Mike Rousell notched the vital first goal for Sports and although Portland equalised they eventually capitulated to fast

Westland attacks and we ran out winners by 5 goals to 1. Substitute Leo Hayward’s pace destroyed Portland’s defence in the second half and he scored a couple in a storming  display. The defeat of league leaders Portland by such a margin sent shock waves around the league and, added to our previous win against Hamworthy  Rec, made us real championship contenders.

However the next game was a midweek trip to Wincanton, the only team to have beaten us at Alvington and they themselves were unbeaten at home all season. A big test for us but once again the team dug deep and two goals from Marc Caines put us in the driving seat at half-time. Wincanton did pull one back in the second half and pressed us hard but our defence was resilient and once again we emerged with the three points. What a run of games, three wins against the three main contenders for the league title and 15 straight league victories in a row.

Now the situation was clear. We had six games left and needed 16 points to be sure of winning the title.

Portland and Wincanton were now out of the running leaving Hamworthy Recreation and ourselves to battle it out.  Our next match was at Chickerell and we didn’t perform very well, a late goal giving us a draw and ending our winning run. That meant we had used up our two point buffer, and  assuming Hamworthy won all their remaining games, we would need to win our last 5 to grab the title.

After the disappointment at Chickerell we travelled to struggling Poole Borough on the following Saturday determined to get back on the rails. A crushing 6-1 victory brought us back to winning ways and a similar 6-1 result the following Saturday at home to Sturminster Marshall kept the pressure on.

Three to go and the next match was at home to Swanage Town, who had been the last side to defeat us, 1-0 back in October, so a tough match was expected.  Swanage, however, turned up with a scratch side and we showed them no mercy, winning by a crushing 18-1 scoreline, 7 being scored by Sam Jarman.

At the final whistle the news came through that Hamworthy Rec had lost 3-0 at Holt and this meant we only needed 1 point from our last two games as the goal difference was well in our favour now.

The two remaining matches were away to Holt, the conquerors of Ham Rec, and away to Bridport.

We travelled to Holt on Tuesday evening 15th May and it proved to be a historic night. It was a hard bumpy pitch and it was a hard physical match. We controlled the first half and with the score 0-0 at the break the situation

was on a knife edge. Then in the 60th minute Marc Caines scored the match winning, and title winning, goal.

A superb individual effort which showed great composure under pressure and one which must go down as the goal of the season. We held firm to the end and the 1-0 victory gave us the league championship with a game to play.

We still had to play Bridport and that match was a bit of a celebration which we won by 5-1. This match also saw Sam Jarman score two goals which won him the league’s “Golden Boot” award for the season. The match also saw us complete a run of 26 league games undefeated, a run which saw us lift the league title.

Dorset Premier League Cup

Preliminary Round,  away to Sturminster Marshall.

This was tough draw and we battled through it well. Goals from Sam Jarman, Marc Caines and Mike Rousell gave us a 3-1 lead but a late goal by the home team made it a tight finish.

Round 1, away to Bridport Reserves.

Any away draw is difficult in a cup tie and this one was no exception.  A first half Dean Corden goal and a second half penalty by Sam Jarman saw Sports through to the next round.

Round 2, away to Chickerell United.

This game was not as comfortable as the 3-0 winning scoreline suggests. Chickerell fought hard the whole way but Sports defended well and punished Chickerell with fast raids. San Jarman put us ahead early on and Marc Caines and Matt Day added two more in the second half.

Semi-Final, away to Swanage Town.

This was a real thrilling cup tie which we won by 3-2 in the end. Twice Swanage took the lead in the first half and twice Lewis Morgan equalised to make it 2-2 at the break. A Sam Jarman header midway through the second half put Westlands through although it took a great save from Ashley Knibbs in the last seconds to keep Swanage at bay.

Final, v Hamworthy Recreation at Dorchester Town FC.

A classic final which went all the way to penalties to decide the winners.  Rec took the lead early on but Dean Ritchie levelled just before the interval. Again Rec took the lead but again we fought back to equalise through a great solo effort from Marc Caines. In the penalty shoot-out the pressure got to the Hamworthy players and they missed their first two kicks. Westlands kept their nerve and banged in four without a miss to take the cup.

Somerset Senior Cup

Round 1, home to Tintinhull.

Not a good draw for us, a local derby and a team from the Dorset Premier League but at least we were at home. As it turned out we demolished them in the first half with goals from Marc Caines, Dean Corden and Sam Jarman and then played out the second half to win 3-0.

Round 2, away to Dundry Athletic.

One of these dodgy away draws in the Somerset Cup. A short, sloping pitch and an opposing team wound up to create a shock can be a potent mix. Nevertheless we coped well, holding them to 0-0 at half time and then taking control as they tired in the second half. Ian Harris opened the scoring for Sports and Sam Farthing completed the 2-0 victory.

Round 3, away to Cheddar.

This match was a different kettle of fish. We knew all about Cheddar having played them twice in recent years and we knew they were one of the best sides in the Somerset County League. After a couple of postponements we travelled to Cheddar to play under floodlights on a cold and wet night so it really was a mountain to climb. We were 1-0 down at half-time but to our teams credit we silenced the home support in the second half by taking over the game and late goals from Marc Caines and Steve Burton gave us victory. This win should not be underestimated and it must be a contender for match of the season.

Round 4, away to Peasedown Athletic.

Again a tricky match on a bumpy, uneven pitch which can be a bit of a leveller. Sports, however, always had this one under control and a goal in each half from Dean Ritchie and Sam Jarman put us through with a 2-0 victory.

Semi-Final,  home to Winscombe.

Our opponents this time were again an unknown quantity but as they had reached the semi-final we assumed they would be tough opponents. Winscombe, however, were caught cold and found themselves 2-0 down in four minutes. By half-time it was 5-0 and the final score was 8-0. Not what you expect from a cup semi-final but Westlands showed no mercy and hat-tricks from Dean Ritchie and Lewis Morgan plus a brace from Leo Hayward finished them off.

Final, v Cutters Friday at Street FC.

We had played our opponents a couple of seasons ago and beaten them 3-1 but the general feeling was they had improved since then and they had beaten Wincanton in the semi so we knew they must be a useful outfit. It turned out to be quite a good game and although we dominated early on and took the lead through George Mapletoft they equalised from the spot to make it 1-1 at half-time. Two headed goals in the second half from Marc Caines and Mike Rousell saw us lift our second cup of the season.

And so the season was concluded with the record books being re-written:

         A 36 match unbeaten run in all competitions stretching back to October 8th 2011

         22 straight wins from 3rd December to 24th April.

         Only 2 defeats in all competitions all season.

         A record 18-1 win in the Dorset Premier League.

An astonishing fact to emerge is that George Mapletoft, in his first season at the club, has played every match this season ! No injuries, no suspensions, no holidays, never dropped, George has maintained an incredible high standard of defending throughout and he was a deserved winner of the “Supporters Player of the Season”.

The final summary is that we have witnessed a historic season and one which has never been achieved before and may never be achieved again. The ‘treble’ of Dorset Premier League Championship, Dorset Premier League Cup and Somerset Senior Cup is a fantastic achievement considering we played a total of 47 competitive matches in all three competitions.


47           George Mapletoft

42           Rich Lindegaard, Ben Cochrane

41           Sam Jarman

39           Marc Caines

38           Ashley Knibbs

34           Steve Lindegaard, Steve Burton

31           Dean Ritchie, Dean Corden

30           Ollie Wake, Mike Rousell, Matt Day

28           Lewis Morgan

23           Haydn Binding

21           Leo Hayward

20           Rich Parkinson

14           Andy Smith, Tony Cunningham

11           Jason Sims

8              Sam Farthing

5              Gary McAuley,  Ian Harris, Tom Coggins, Jason Bundy, James Smith

2              Jon Ritchie, Aaron Mead, Ant Herrin, Danny Call

1              Jon Vance, Stu Smith, Pete Ireland, Keith Emerson, Matt Newens

In total, 35 players played for the team during the season.


38          Sam Jarman

27          Marc Caines

22          Lewis Morgan

17          Mike Rousell

13          Dean Ritchie, Dean Corden

11          Matt Day

8            Leo Hayward

4            Ben Cochrane,  Steve Lindegaard,  Steve Burton

2            Sam Farthing, George Mapletoft, OGs

1            Rich Parkinson, Aaron Mead,  Ian Harris, Haydn Binding, Gary McAuley



Saturday 26th May was party time last night as we celebrated our treble winning season with the Annual Dinner and Presentation Night in the Director's Lounge at Yeovil Town Football Club.

Gary Johnston the Yeovil Town manager was the guest of honour and there was a packed house of players, family, friends, club volunteeers and sponsors to hear Gary get the evening under way with an excellent speech. Also on display, in pride of place, were the Dorset Premier League Championship Trophy, the Dorset Premier League Cup and the Somerset FA Senior Cup.There were also individual awards at every level and the following received their momentoes from GaryJohnston:-

Under 16's:

Managers  PoY - Luke Silcox

Players PoY - Tom Hallett

Parents PoY - Henry Lawrence-Napier

Top goalscorer - Jordan Dent

Most Improved Player - Callum Loveday

U18 'A' Team:

Managers PoY - Niall Woollard

Players PoY - Pete Ireland

Top Goalscorer - Joe Smith

U18 'B' Team:

Managers PoY - Alex Watts

Players PoY - Nat Carney

Top Goalscorer - Tom Pitts,

Most Improved Player - Dan Wilton


Managers PoY - Pete Ireland

Players PoY - Stuart Smith

First Team:

Managers PoY - Sam Jarman

Players PoY - Rich Lindegaard

Supporters PoY - George Mapletoft

Young PoY - Lewis Morgan

Top Goalscorer - Sam Jarman



Tuesday 22nd May 2012.............the season finally came to an end last night with the very last Magna Dorset Premier League match ending in a 5-1 victory for Westlands over Bridport Reserves at St Mary's Field. The lads were running on adrenalin for the first half hour and raced into a four goal lead with goals from STEVE BURTON, MATT DAY and two from SAM JARMAN. Last weekend's 'end of season trip' then kicked in and we struggled a bit from then on, but MIKE ROUSELL managed to add another in the second half. So its another good victory and completes a 36 match unbeaten run for Sports stretching back to October 8th. A total of 32 of these matches were wins and four were draws so its a fitting end to a historic season for the club. Sam Jarman's two goals make him the top league goalscorer in the DPL with 32 goals and winner of the "Golden Boot" award for this season. His total tally for the season including cups is 38 which is a fantastic total and even more remarkable considering he played in midfield for a large part of the season. All in all a great effort and congratulations to Sam. Match Report  The picture below shows the team with the three cups prior to last night's match. On top is the Magna Dorset Premier League Championship Trophy, bottom left is the Somerset FA Senior Cup and bottom right is the Magna Dorset Premier League Cup.


Saturday 19th May 2012............We did it !  Last night at Street we added the Somerset Senior Cup to our previous league and cup triumphs to make it a historic treble for Westland Sports this season. In a tough match we beat Cutters Friday 3-1 with goals from GEORGE MAPLETOFT, MARC CAINES and MIKE ROUSELL. This completes a season in which we've won every tournament we've entered losing only two games in the process, a real milestone in the history of the club.


Wednesday 16th May 2012............Westlands clinched the league and cup double in style last night with a 1-0 victory over Holt United at Petersham Lane. MARC CAINES fired Sports into the record books with a spectacular winning goal in the 60th minute which was the cue for great celebrations all around the pitch from the sizeable Westlands contingent. Even greater celebrations took place after the final whistle when the trophies were presented and the champagne corks were popping. This is a fantastic achievement for all the players, committee and dedicated helpers who make Westland Sports a special club, so congratulations to them all.


Thursday 19th April, 2012..........Westlands lifted the Magna Dorset Premier League Cup last night in a dramatic penalty shoot-out at Dorchester. Opponents Hamworthy Recreation took an early lead after dominating the early exchanges but DEAN RITCHIE put Sports on level terms at the interval. Against the second half run of play Hamworthy again got their noses in front but again Westlands fought back and equalised through a solo effort from MARC CAINES. The half hour of extra time failed to produce a winner so it was on to penalties and a nail-biting end to the match. The tension didn't last long as Hamworthy made a hash of their first two kicks while Sports kept their nerve and banged in four without a miss to take the trophy. Another great show of spirit and determination by the Westland lads who just refused to be beaten in a cracking cup final which was end-to-end from start to finish.



Tuesday 24th January...........having just seen the draw for the FA Vase 5th round I was reminded that Westland Sports played for several seasons in this prestigeous cup competition.

In fact, going back to season 1974/75, WESTLAND-YEOVIL, as we were then known, were entered into the FA Trophy ! This was due to the fact we were then classed as a semi-professional club and had joined the Rothman's Western League (as it was known then) the season before.

In the Pre-Qualifying round of the Trophy we played BRIDGWATER TOWN and had a good 5-2 victory. That was followed by a 3-1 win over TAUNTON TOWN in the 1st Qualifying Round before we finally made our exit in the 2nd Pre-Qualifying Round by 1-0 to DORCHESTER TOWN.

The following two years we never got past the Pre-Qualifying Round, losing 1-0 to ALTON TOWN in 76/77 and 1-0 to BRIDPORT in 77/78.

That season also saw us relegated to Division 1 of the Western League and that ended our participation in the FA Trophy.

The following season we were entered into the FA Vase and got off to a good start, beating SHARPNESS 2-1 in the 1st Round. We also won our 2nd Round tie beating KEYNSHAM TOWN 1-0 but lost in the 3rd Round to ALMONDSBURY GREENWAY by 2-0.

Season 79/80 saw us go out in the Pre-Qualifying Round, losing 2-1 to OTTERY ST MARY.

After this the club slipped back into junior football but in season 1987/88, now known as WESTLAND SPORTS and playing in the Dorset Combination (now Dorset Premier), we re-entered the FA Vase.

In the Pre-Qualifying Round we beat PATCHWAY 4-1 but in the Qualifying Round got beaten 6-0 by YATE TOWN. The following year 1989/90 was Westlands last year in the Vase and we went out in the Pre-Qualifying Round, losing 4-3 to WELLINGTON.

As new regulations had come in requiring clubs competing in the Vase to have floodlights, we were unable to enter the tournament the following season and that remains the situation to this day.




The club  applied to the Dorset League for permission to play our Reserve team in the Dorset Senior League in season 2011/2012.

Monday 3rd January saw Westlands start the year in the DPL with a 2-0 victory over Sturminster Newton at Alvington. Scorers for Sports were Leo Hayward and Dan Call with a penalty, Haydn Binding also made his debut in this match.

Also in January we progressed to the second round of the DPL Cup with a 2-1 home victory over Chickerell but unfortunately we relinquished the Somerset Senior Cup with a disappointing 2-1 defeat at Bridgwater.

In the league a 2-0 win at Cranborne was followed by a shock 3-2 defeat at Sturminster Marshall.

The reserves progressed to the third round of the Somerset Junior Cup with a 9-0 win over Fairfield Park Rangers.



Only two games were played by the first team in February due to inclement weather and two wins were recorded over Portland and Merley Cobham.

Reserves had a disappointing exit from the Somerset Junior Cup at Coleford.



Saturday 12th, In a Dorset Premier League match at Parley we found ourselves 1-0 down at half time and with only nine men following a double sending off. In the second half, the nine men staged a remarkable fight back to win 4-1.

Two more wins were recorded in the month, a 3-0 win at home over Holt and a 2-0 victory at Hamworthy United in the first midweek match of the year.

On Saturday 19th we travelled to Hamworthy Recreation in the 2nd round of the DPL Cup and came away with a good 3-0 victory.

In the semi-final of the Dorset FA Youth Cup, our Under 17 Colts side beat our Under 18 side in a surprise result at Alvington and progressed to the final. Luke Vivash netted the winner in the first half for the Colts.



We played 8 games in April, 7 league and one cup. The month started badly with the 3-2 loss to Merley Cobham in the semi-final of the DPL Cup. We then lost 2-0 at Weymouth on Wednesday 6th but picked up a bit with a 2-2 draw at Portland and from then on we won the remaining 5 league games beating Sherborne (2-1), Blandford (7-1), Wincanton (1-0), Merley Cobham (5-0) and Hamworthy Recreation (3-2). Unfortunately, in the Ham Rec match Sam Farthing dislocated his shoulder, an injury that was to see him sidelined until November.

Tuesday 19th , Kevin Leigh won the Dorset Premier League “Manager of the Month” award for March.

Friday 22nd, Yeovil & District League Charity Cup Final, Westland Sports Reserves 1 Tor 0, Ant Herrin headed in the winner in the first half as the reserves picked up the club’s first trophy of the season.



We were awarded the FA Chartered Standard status after a long accreditation process. This marked a milestone for the club as this status will eventually be required to enter the DPL.

Sunday 8th , Dorset Youth Cup Final, Shaftesbury 0 Westland Colts 1. Oscar Latas netted the winner for the Colts who upset the hot favourites Shaftesbury to lift the trophy.

Friday 13th, Yeovil & District Premier League Cup Final, Westland Sports 3 Normalair 1, Ant Herrin, Ash Powers and Lewis Morgan netting for Sports as they won in style at Somerton.

In the DPL we won our last two games against Bridport (5-0) and Chickerell (2-1) to finish in third position.

The reserves finished runners-up in the Yeovil & District League Premier Division after losing a last match ‘winners take all’ game against Henstridge.

The Under 18 Sports side finished third in the Dorset U18 Youth League Division 1.

The Under 18 Colts side completed the double by adding the Dorset U18 Youth League Division 2 title to the Dorset Youth Cup. This capped a magnificent season for Sean Kitto’s side.

The Under 16 side finished in third place in the Dorset U16 Youth League Division 1.



Friday 6th, At the Annual Presentation Evening, John Fry the Yeovil Town chairman presented the prizes. Dean Corden and Matt Day scooped the top awards for the first team while for the reserves Sam Beard took all the honours. In the Youth section Haydn Binding was top man for the U18 Sports side while Harry Turner and Tom Hinder shared the honours for the U18 Colts. In the U16 division Ollie Pilton was top man.

The reserves were admitted to play in the Dorset League Division 1 next season which ended a long association with the Yeovil & District League.

At the Club AGM all the existing office bearers agreed to continue as did the committee members. The club welcomed our new Under 16 team for the new season. They will be managed by Pat Denman assisted by Andy Hallett, and Julie Hallett will be the team secretary.

Phil Wells was appointed as reserve team manager assisted by Jonathan Ritchie and Pete Smith.



Training started again at the beginning of the month and a clutch of new signings were made to strengthen the squad for the new season.

“Bengal Fusion”, an Indian restaurant in Chard have agreed to be kit sponsors for the coming season. On Saturday 6th they formally presented us with the new kit at a photoshoot at Alvington.

Saturday 16th saw the new season open with a friendly against Larkhall Athletic at Alvington which we drew 3-3. This day also saw the opening of “Claire’s Kitchen” as a move to improve the catering services and put them on a more ‘professional’ footing.



Saturday 13th August saw the season start in earnest with the first fixture in the Dorset Premier League. We faced Hamworthy Utd at Alvington and with the new signings boosting the squad we romped to an impressive 11-0 victory. This was followed by four more quickfire victories, 6-0 v Sherborne, 4-1 v Merley Cobham, 8-0 v Shaftesbury and 3-1 v Poole Borough before we came unstuck with a 2-0 home defeat to Wincanton on Tuesday 30th.



Saturday 3rd we beat Sturminster Marshall 3-2 away in the preliminary round of the DPL Cup

This was followed by a home victory over Bridport (2-1) and then another 3-2 victory at Sturminster Marshall, this time in the league.

Saturday 3rd also saw the reserves make their debut in the Dorset League Division 1 with a 1-1 draw with Poundbury Rovers at Alvington. This was followed by an early exit from the Somerset Junior Cup with a shock 3-2 defeat by Yeovil League Mermaid Utd. After this the reserves settled down and recorded a couple of victories to get their season up and running.

Our new u16 side made a good start to by winning all their league games and progressing in both the Dorset and Somerset cups



After beating Parley 3-0 away, the first team suffered their second defeat of the season with a surprise 1-0 defeat at Swanage.

We also progressed in the DPL Cup, winning our first round tie at Bridport 2-0.

The reserves crept up to second  place in the table with three good wins and a creditable draw (1-1) at Mere Town who had previously won every match.

On 29th October a successful fund raiser was held with a Race Night at the Old Barn Club.

The U16s were knocked out of the Somerset Youth Shield by Clevedon but continued undefeated in the league.

The Under 18 'A' side progressed into the semi-final of the Dorset Youth Cup in their defence of the trophy but the U18 'B' team bowed out.



The month started with a 3-0 defeat of Tintinhull at Alvington in the first round of the Somerset Senior Cup. This was followed by a 4-0 home defeat of Weymouth and two good away draws at high-flying Hamworthy Recreation and Portland.

With their rivals not playing the reserves cashed in to go top of the league.

The Under 16s won through to the semi-final of the Under 16 cup with a 10-0 win over Rossgarth.



Saturday 3rd we negotiated a 3rd round Somerset Senior Cup tie by 2-0 at Dundry Athletic. We then followed this up with two league wins v Chickerell (3-1) and Cranborne (2-1) before ending the year in style on Saturday 31st December with a 5-0 win at Tintinhull.

The final reckoning for 2011 sees the first team lying third in the Magna Dorset Premier League, the Reserves are top of the Dorset League Division 1, the U18 'A' team are third in the Dorset U18 Youth League Division 1, the U18 'B' team are 9th (of 12) in the Dorset U18 Youth League Division 2, and the U16s are top of the Dorset U16 Youth League Division 2. In the cups, the first team are through to Round 4 of the Somerset Senior Cup and also the Quarter-Final of the DPL Cup. The Under 18 'A' team are in the Semi-Final of the Dorset FA Youth Cup and the U16s are in the Semi-Final of the Dorset U16 Youth Cup