Reports 2022-23 sht 2

Westland Sports FC

First Team




Sports ended their Jewson Dorset Premier League season by producing an 88th-minute winner in their 2-1 win over Balti Sports at Cranford Avenue.

The home side were down to 10 men after a red card for on the half hour, shown for violent conduct after a tangle with a Westland centre-half. Westlands took control then but Balti faught hard with their goalkeeper having a blinder, rushing off his line to deal with deliveries and through balls on countless occasions, keeping his side in it with a catalogue of saves. Half time 0-0.

Westlands eventually took the lead just after half-time as HARRISON FOSTER ran through and lifted a neat finish over the keeper, the ball hitting the post and trickling in. Two Westland efforts were also cleared off the line as the home side battled to stay in the game. And eventually the hosts’ defensive efforts were rewarded when they scored a scrappy equaliser to even things up at 1-1. Balti were happy with the point and were able to frustrate Westland by winning several free-kicks but, with light fading and the clock ticking down, HARRISON FOSTER claimed a deserved winner for Westlands when he tapped home at the back post from a low cross.

Nice to end the season with a win which clinched 3rd place for Westlands so an excellent season on reflection. However questions must be asked about the commitment of some of the players in the squad when the recruiting starts for next season. Man of the match was Harrison Foster for his two goals and a hard working performance.

Line-up: 1.L.Wallis 3.S.Plumley 3.T.Trevett 4.S.Smith 5.T.Frampton 6.H.Foster 7.D.McCabe 8.J.Green 9.P.Ormrod 10.M.Kamal 11.J.Payne 12.O.Hebbard 14.J.John

Saturday 6th May: HOLT UTD 2  WESTLAND SPORTS 0

Sports could only muster 12 men for the trip to champions elect Holt Utd but put up a battling display and could count themselves a bit unlucky to lose 2-0. Availability issues have been a problem all season for Westlands with some players unwilling to make the effort on occasions and this has undoubtedly affected our title challenge. Nevertheless, after losing an early goal in the 4th minute Sports took control of the game and dominated the remainder of the first half. Harrison Foster had an equaliser chalked off after he netted at the far post from a corner. The referee gave the goal but the linesman stuck his flag up and said the keeper had been impeded. When you consider that at every corner kick in the match both teams had someone standing in front of the keeper then this was a tough decision to take. In the second half, with Holt now kicking down the slope, things were a bit harder for Sports but they defended well and looked dangerous in attack. With 25 minutes left the match was virtually decided by an individual error which gifted Holt the second goal. A pass back was left short and a Holt player nipped in and rounded the keeper to score. Great celebrations in the crowd as they knew this was the match they needed to win and up until that second goal it was definitely in the balance. A pity really as Holt were then able to relax a bit and play out time. Nevertheless, although we lost it was an excellent performance from the Westlands team and they can all be proud of their efforts.

Line-up: 1.L.Wallis 2.M.Rowswell 3.S.Plumley 4.S.Ormrod 5.T.Frampton 6.H.Foster 7.D.McCabe 8.M.Kamal 9.N.Woollard 10.O.Hebbard 11.J.Payne 12.A.Barratt


The bank holiday festivities at the club plus a lovely sunny day drew a huge crowd to Alvington for what promised to be a close encounter with 4th versus 3rd in the current league table standings. Three changes were made from the team that played on saturday, Tim Trevett, Olly Wake and Malik Kamal were replaced by Dan Ewens, Callum Gundry and Josh John.

There was nothing between the teams in the early stages with some cagey possession football but no real chances being created. But as we passed the 20 minute mark it was noticeable that the visitors were enjoying most of the possession and pressing men forward whereas Westlands seemed happy to get men behind the ball and rely on long balls up to Phil Ormrod. In the 27th minute Bournemouth were awarded a free kick about 20 yards out and a great strike by their #11 curled over the wall and came back off the post. The scenario continued with Bournemouth having most of the pressure and just failing on a few occasions to get on the end of crosses while Westlands defended well in numbers and relied on quick breaks. These breaks were quite dangerous and Duncan McCabe had a good chance from a corner but leaned back and blasted over the bar. In the 43rd minute Westlands broke the deadlock with the opening goal. It was a solo effort from PHIL ORMROD who battled to win possession of a long ball down the left, cut in and from an acute angle slotted the ball into the far corner of the net.

Half time 1-0 to Westlands and the happy home crowd enjoyed their pizzas and beer during the break.

As the as teams settled down in the second half it was evident that Westlands were now playing a higher line and getting more players forward in support of Phil Ormrod. In the 65th minute Callum Gundry fired over from a corner and from a free kick Steve Ormrod headed wide as Westlands pushed forward looking to seal the points. In the event this was to be their undoing as they got caught out on the break as Bournemouth had in the first half. A long ball over the top put their speedy #20 away and he raced clear and deftly slotted the ball into the far corner as the keeper came out. Westlands immediately responded with a substitution, Jamie Green replacing Josh John. It was end to end now as both teams tried to nick the points. Duncan McCabe just failed to connect with a Phil Ormrod cross after some good play by Josh Payne down the right. Then in the 85th minute a Bournemouth player shot just over the bar from a corner. With a couple of minutes to go Westlands made their second substitution, Lewis Holland replacing Max Rowswell. The game ended with Bournemouth on the attack but I think a draw was a fair result as the two teams were pretty well matched. Full-time 1-1. Josh Payne was voted man-of-the-match for a hard working display down both wings.

Line-up: 1.L.Wallis 2.M.Rowswell 3.T.Trevett 4.S.Smith 5.O.Wake 6.H.Foster 7.D.McCabe 8.M.Kamal 9.S.Ormrod 10.P.Ormrod 11.J.Payne 12.J.Green 14.L.Holland 15.C.Fletcher 16.A.Barratt


Sports were undoubtedly favourites for this one having won 4-1 down at Portland at the end of November however the team taking the field for this match showed seven changes from the starting line-up that day so you never know.. At last we had a sunny Saturday afternoon in Yeovil for football and that perhaps added to the “end of season” feel to this match. Against a young Portland outfit Sports had control of the game early on but were finding it difficult to create any clear cut chances. Eventually, in the 17th minute we made the breakthrough. Malik Kamal drilled in a shot from distance that the Portland keeper parried into the path of the ever-alert PHIL ORMROD who scored from close range. That was the first attempt on target for either team !  Phil Ormrod was looking in the mood to add to his goals tarry and in the 31st minute he header a corner kick just wide. Inevitably, however, in the 36th minute it was 2-0 with, guess who, PHIL ORMROD running onto brother Steve’s through ball and smashing it past the keeper. Four minutes later it was 3-0 when PHIL ORMROD notched his hat-trick, running on to another through pass and thumping the ball into the net. H/T 3-0.

Sports looked home and dry now but the Portland team had shown some good composure on the ball in the first half but they didn't have much of a cutting edge up front and were struggling to cope with the physicality of the Westland's forwards.

Into the second half it was more of the same and in the 58th minute Josh Payne shrugged off a defender’s challenge and put in a high cross that STEVE ORMROD powered into the net with a thumping header. In the 60th minute came Sports first sub, Malik Kamal replaced by Jamie Green. With 70 minutes on the clock Steve Ormrod broke down the right and his cross was slid in by DUNCAN McCABE at the far post to make it 5-0. The visitors were a bit slack in their marking at the back and Sports were taking full advantage. Sports made two more substitutions now with Josh Payne and Max Rowswell replaced by Josh John and Adam Barratt. In the 85th minute a ball over the top put PHIL ORMROD clean through and he made no mistake, rounding the keeper and side footing in to make it 6-0. With the game lost and nothing to lose Portland now threw men forward and with Sports looking a bit lazy, they took control of the game. It was one way traffic and in the final minute their #15, who had looked quite lively out on the right wing, turned inside a Westlands defender and drilled a low shot into the far corner for a consolation goal. Not undeserved as they had stuck to the task even though they were 6 goals down. So, another good result for Westlands on home turf that keeps us in the top four. Man-of-the-match was Phil Ormrod for some lethal finishing.

Line-up: 1.L.Wallis 2.M.Rowswell 3.T.Trevett 4.S.Smith 5.O.Wake 6.S.Smith 7.D.McCabe 8.M.Kamal 9.S.Ormrod 10.P.Ormrod 11.J.Payne 12.A.Barratt 14.J.John.


Disappointing to see Westlands arrive with 12 fit players on a day when the reserves had no match !  Adam Barratt, who is still recovering from an ankle injury, was added to the list as a sub bringing our numbers to 13.

Sports had already lost at this venue, 2-1 in the cup when the conditions were wet and muddy. The pitch this time had dried out but was very bumpy and ball control was almost impossible.

Westlands forced a few early corners and free kicks in a decent opening spell. It was evident however that passing the ball was difficult on the surface and both teams were reduced to lumping long balls upfield. Josh Payne headed a corner just over, Steve Ormrod headed wide and Ollie Hebbard shot wide as Sports looked for the opener. At the other end Harrison Wallis turned a shot round the post and the resulting corner was scrambled away. The half finished with a good shot from Josh Payne that went just over the bar. Half time 0-0 and a fairly even half although Westlands had created the best chances.

The second half opened with Josh Payne having a shot on the turn which went just wide of the far post. It was just hit and hope really for both teams and in the 55th minute a long ball from a Stur Marshall defender caught the Sports defence a bit flat footed and their forward ran through one on one and finished well. Shortly after Westlands had to make a substitution when Tim Trevett took a knock and, rather surprisingly, it was Adam Barratt who replaced him. In the 66th minute Sports had a golden opportunity to equalise when they were awarded a penalty for a push in the box. Unfortunately Phil Ormrod’s sidefoot kick was well saved by the Stur keeper who dived down to palm the ball away by the post and Ollie Hebbard, following up, just couldn’t force the ball in. Personally I don’t like these sidefoot “passes” into the corner, if the keeper guesses correctly he has a good chance of making the save as the keepers always dive low. From memory we’ve seen Steve Ormrod and Jamie Green both miss penalties in this way this season. Blast it high into the net would be my preference, mind you I’ve seen a few of these blasted over the bar over the years !

In the 75th minute Aiden Vincent got his head to a cross but put it over the top before, in the 80th minute he was subbed and replaced by Josh John. Finally in the 85th minute a through ball put a Sturminster forward clean through and he rounded the keeper to score easily. That was that and in the final few minutes we were treated to some annoying time wasting by the home team, one receiving a yellow for his sillyness. So ended another poor away day for Sports, something that has been a bit of a habit recently. It had been a poor game of football, the worst I’ve seen all season, and that was due really to the poor surface. Sturminster deserved their win in the end as they defended well and took the chances when they got them, Westlands doing the opposite. A bit annoying to be fielding a scratch side which was not suited to the conditions, too many ball players on a pitch that needed physical battlers to win these long balls. Sports did have one player who fitted the bill perfectly and that was Steve Ormrod who played a blinder at centre half, winning everything in the air, and one couldn’t help think he could have made a difference up front. Definitely a man of the match performance.

 Line-up: 1.L.Wallis 2.S.Plumley 3.D.Ewens 4.T.Trevett 5.S.Ormrod 6.S.Smith 7.O.Hebbard 8.D.McCabe 9.J.Payne 10.P.Ormrod 11.A.Vincent 12.A.Barratt 14.J.John.


A home match for Westlands but played at Shaftesbury as they could’nt scratch a team together to travel to Yeovil for a 6.30 kick-off but said they could play a later kick-off at their ground under floodlights. Rather that have the fixture postponed for a third time Sports agreed to the switch. A very sporting gesture by the Westland’s manager as Shaftesbury would have copped a £200 fine from the league for failing to fulfil a fixture. Westlands were forced into a few changes due to injury/availability issues but still felt they had a strong enough squad to win the match so it was game on.

It was Shaftesbury who started the quickest and had Westlands on the back foot for the first 10 minutes or so. As Westlands settled they began to put a few attacks together but the finishing wasn’t great and a couple of efforts went just wide. In the 24th minute, however, Westlands took the lead. Steve Ormrod met a keeper’s clearance on the halfway line and his powerful header caught the Shaftesbury defence flat footed as they tried to push out. PHIL ORMROD was onto the ball in a flash and ran on to sidefoot past the keeper into the far corner of the net. Although Sports dominated the remainder of the first half the passing was poor at times and quite a few chances to build on their lead were squandered. H/T 1-0 to Westlands but with only one goal in it there was still some work to do..

Sports were straight out looking for an early goal in the second half and they scored it after 3 minutes ! A forward pass into the box was deflected into the air and PHIL ORMROD was first to react and he rose to head the ball past the keeper into the net. At 2-0 Westlands were in control but Shaftesbury were always dangerous when their #8 got the ball as he was very quick ! More sitters (I won’t embarrass the culprits by naming names) were missed before eventually, in the 72nd minute, HARRISON FOSTER banged in the third at the far post to put the match out of Shaftesbury’s reach. Time for some subs now with Max Rowswell and Niall Woollard replacing Josh Payne and Josh John. The fourth goal was not long in coming when, in the 80th minute, a lovely through ball picked out PHIL ORMROD who ran on and drilled it low and hard into the far corner. The game was over now and Lewis Holland was brought on to replace Sam Plumley for the remainder. Sadly, in the 90th minute Shaftesbury were handed a consolation from the penalty spot when a handball decision was given against Steve Ormrod. Westland complained bitterly, particularly Mark Cuff who was denied his clean sheet, but to no avail.

F/T 4-0 Westlands. A decent performance by Sports but they may live to regret all these missed chances come the end of the season.

The man of the match award was given to Harrison Foster for a hard working display in midfield capped with a goal.

 Line-up: 1.M.Cuff 2.S.Plumley 3.D.Ewens 4.S.Smith 5.S.Ormrod 6.H.Foster 7.J.John 8.D.McCabe 9.J.Payne 10.P.Ormrod 11.O.Hebbard 12.L.Holland 14.M.Rowswell 15.N.Woollard.


The match got underway & immediately it was the away side who piled on the pressure & broke the deadlock when a well worked Westlands attack was hit into the top corner by PHIL ORMROD. In only the 5th minute it went from bad to worse for the Hammers when poor defending left an easy finish for MAX ROWSWELL to double the away sides lead. Westland’s were in control and went looking for a third however the Hammers back line started to work together well, so limiting the opposition in front of goal. In the 12th minute the Hammers pulled a goal back from SAM FOWERAKER as he connected from an Alfie Matthews corner to bring the deficit down to 1 goal. 5 minutes from half time the Hammers brought the game level when MATTHEW RENNIE was on target after Fergus Ball had played a brilliant ball out to the winger, who got the ball out of his feet & drilled the ball past the visiting keeper. The Hammers continued to press, and thought they made a first half comeback complete when Hamza Bakkali played a ball across the goal for Matthew Rennie to tap home however the assistant referee deemed it as offside, so the score remained level at the break, HT 2-2. Going into the second half & the late first half dominance continued as the Hammers went ahead in the 63rd minute when ALFIE MATTHEWS was fouled in the box, he stepped up to take the resulting penalty & gave the Sport’s keeper no chance in saving it. Towards the end of the game Westland’s were trying to push for an equaliser however they got caught on the counterattack from Dwayne Yeboah who got fouled in the attack, however a great advantage was signalled from the Referee, so with the Hammers through on goal, JOE WEARDEN slotted home to make it 4-2 to the hosts and secure the 3 points for the Hammers. Report courtesy of the DPL Dispatch.

Tues 4th April: Dorset Premier League: WESTLAND SPORTS 3  SHERBORNE TOWN RESERVES 0

A nice sunny evening saw a good crowd turn out at Alvington for the local derby. Sports made 5 changes to the starting line-up from the team that lost at Wimborne. In came new signing Harrison Wallis in goal, with Lewis Holland, Tim Trevett, Callum Gundry and Josh John all returning to the starting eleven at the expense of Mark Cuff, Ollie Hebbard, Malik Kamal, Josh Payne and Ollie Wake.

Both teams were a bit cagy for the first 15 minutes not looking to commit an early mistake but it was Westlands who struck the first blow with the opening goal in the 18th minute. A huge kick from Sports debutant keeper, Harrison Wallis, caught the Sherborne defence flat-footed and STEVE ORMROD raced through to thump the ball into the net. Five minutes later Phil Ormrod should have made it 2-0 when he broke through the visitors back line but his dinked lob over the keeper drifted wide of the far post. In the 28th minute disaster struck for Sherborne when they went down to 10 men. Phil Ormrod again burst through but was brought down from behind on the edge of the box. A rash tackle which resulted in the inevitable red card for Sherborne’s #6. It was a needless tackle really as the goalkeeper was coming out to narrow the angle so a goal is not a certainty in these circumstances. Duncan McCabe then fired a Phil Ormrod cross over the bar as Westlands looked to cash in on their extra man. It was an uphill battle now for the visitors but they reacted well, working hard and putting a bit of pressure on the home defence although not really troubling the Westlands keeper. Nevertheless a good spell for Sherborne but Westlands were soon back up the other end and just before the break Steve Ormrod headed a Duncan McCabe corner wide when unmarked 6 yards out. Half-time 1-0 and, with Sports missing a couple of good chances to kill the game off, it was still all to play for.

The second half was disappointing, the game deteriorating into a bit of a midfield battle. Sherborne appeared to have stayed with 3 at the back and for a while it wasn’t obvious they were playing a man short. The teams battled away with lots of effort but not much creative football with passes going astray all over the pitch. With 20 minutes to go a touch of quality came when Sports Jamie Green lifted a good pass over the Sherborne backline giving Phil Ormrod a clear run on goal. As he raced into the box he was closed down by a defender and the goalkeeper but managed to cut the ball back to DUNCAN McCABE who knocked it in from close range to put Sports two up. Sports then made a substitution, Jake Worth replacing Josh John. The visitors were understandably tiring now and in the 81st minute Steve Ormrod banged in a Phil Ormrod cross but this one was ruled out for offside even though the cross had come off a defender. In the 85th minute Lewis Holland picked up an injury and was replaced by Max Rowswell. Five minutes later DUNCAN McCABE made it 3-0 with a good run and turn in the box, finished off with a low shot into the net. A nice solo effort that one and with the light beginning to fade the referee eventually blew for time up in semi-darkness. Full-time 3-0. Not a vintage display by Westlands but they will be happy just to get the three points in what is traditionally a tricky fixture.

Sports new keeper had a confident start with a clean sheet but the Man-of-the-match award went to Lewis Holland who slotted in confidently at right back and made good use of the ball.

Line-up: 1.H.Wallis 2.L.Holland 3.D.Ewens 4.T.Trevett 5.S.Smith 6.C.Gundry 7.D.McCabe 8.J.Green 9.S.Ormrod 10.P.Ormrod 11.J.John 12.A.Barratt 14.M.Rowswell 15.J.Worth

Sat 25th Mar: Dorset Premier League: WIMBORNE TOWN RES 5  WESTLAND SPORTS 2

A match away to a team unbeaten at home all season was a tough test for a Sports side that was missing a few regulars, In fact, Sports turned up with only 12 players, with assistant manager Harry Turner added to the team sheet to make 13. Not a good start to the day considering the tight situation at the top of the league where every point is vital. The pitch looked in excellent condition considering the current weather but I wasn’t sure if this was a good or bad thing as the opposition had a reputation for playing fast passing football on the ground.

In the opening exchanges the home side dominated the ball and Westlands seemed to back off a bit and rely on a longer ball upfield to the front men. In the 11th minute Sports forced a corner which nearly paid dividends. Sam Smith made a run to the near post and his glancing header was cleared off the line. The clearance was picked up by a Wimborne player and the break was on with Westlands caught short at the back. Two or three passes later and the ball was drilled into the net for the opening goal. Just the start we didn’t want but Sports hit back within two minutes. Steve Ormrod worked his way to the bye line with some good skills and his pin-point cross to the far post was headed in by the unmarked OLLIE HEBBARD. The game then settled into a pattern of Wimborne dominating possession and Westlands trying to hit them on the break. After 19 minutes a Wimborne forward hit a shot that smacked off the post and back into play so a let off for Sports there. On the half hour mark Steve Ormrod was given yellow card for pushing aside a defender who was obstructing his run into the Wimborne half. Seemed a bit harsh as he was blocked off but as we know it’s the player who reacts, not the perpetrator, who gets punished. Five minutes later came the moment that ultimately defined the match. Malik Kamal dived into a rather reckless challenge and when the referee blew up we feared the worst. However the official took his time and went over to have a chat to his assistant on the line who apparently, according to spectators standing close by, recommended a yellow card. The referee seemed to agree but then returned to the scene and having been shown a mark on the Wimborne player’s shin, decided to make it a red. Off went Malik and the Wimborne player was able to continue after treatment. Down to 10 men with 55 minutes to go was a real uphill task for Sports but we were level at the moment and if we could just get through to half time on level terms then we could regroup for the second half. This was not to be however as a free kick was conceded on the edge of the box and the ball was drilled into the bottom corner to put the home side ahead. Half-time 2-1. To be fair the Westland players came out determined to have a go in the second half as I felt they had been a bit passive in the first half and had given the home team too much respect. Sports were on the front foot now and in the 49th minute scored the equaliser with a cracking goal. The ball came to JOSH PAYNE about 20 yards out and he had a touch and smashed the ball into the top corner of the net. Well, what a turn up, could Sports now consolidate and get behind the ball with the hope of hanging on to a point or perhaps even nicking a goal on the break ? For 5 minutes that looked possible then disaster struck. Sports keeper Mark Cuff couldn’t hold on to a shot from the right wing and a Wimborne attacker was on the spot to stick the rebound away and make it 3-2. This was a bitter pill to swallow for the Westlands team but they kept trying and Ollie Hebbard struck a shot inches wide of the far post after a slaloming run through the Wimborne defence. Wimborne were still dangerous but Sports were managing to hold them at bay by hook or by crook. Until the 75th minute that was, when the Wimborne #9 turned inside 2 defenders and fired home to make it 4-2. Westlands then made a substitution with Max Rowswell replacing Jamie Green. Frustration then set in at the seeming lack of decisions going Westlands way and Ollie Hebbard was sin-binned for a comment that was not to the referee’s liking. Down to 9 men it was just damage limitation now for Sports and with fatigue setting in big time they couldn’t hold out and in the 86th minute Wimborne made it 5-2 with a crisp shot. Westlands at last returned to 10 men when Ollie Hebbard was allowed to return after what seemed an extraordinary long time in the sin-bin ! Going into overtime there was still more salt rubbed in Westland’s wounds when they were reduced to 9 men again ! It was another disputed decision which saw Phil Ormrod with his head in his hands with disbelief and receiving a sin-bin for his opinion on the matter. We were glad to hear the final whistle which put an end to a day Westlands will want to forget. To take nothing away from the Wimborne team who looked a good side from the very beginning and it would have taken a good performance from a full strength Westlands team to beat them. Most people agreed afterwards (Wimborne supporters included) that the red card had ruined what was building up to an intriguing tussle and on “non-league day” people had come along and paid good money to watch what they thought would be a good, evenly matched game but had left disappointed. Man of the Match was Sam Smith whose was outstanding at the back for Sports.

Line-up: 1.M.Cuff 2.D.McCabe 3.D.Ewens 4.S.Smith 5.O.Wake (c) 6.M.Kamal 7.O.Hebbard 8.J.Green 9.S.Ormrod 10.P.Ormrod 11.J.Payne 12.M.Rowswell 14.H.Turner

Sat 18th Mar: Dorset Premier League: WESTLAND SPORTS 3  BRIDPORT RES 0

A heavy downpour an hour before kick-off put the match in some jeopardy but after some discussion the officials allowed the game to go ahead. Westlands team made several changes to the side that won at Shaftesbury last week. Sam Plumley is suspended so Lewis Holland, one of our U18s, made his first team debut at right back, Sam Smith returned to centre half in place of Tim Trevett, and Phil Ormrod and Luca Martin were unavailable so Calum Gundry and Josh Payne stepped in.

Sports made the early running and had the first attempt at goal, a Josh Payne shot going just wide. Then a Sam Smith header from a corner was deflected wide and from the second corner Steve Ormrod headed over. It was no real surprise therefore when Westlands opened the scoring in the 12th minute. Again it was a corner kick that caused the danger with central defender SAM SMITH finding some space and heading the ball into the net unchallenged.

A neat turn from the Bridport #9 in the 27th minute opened up the Westlands defence but his shot was smothered by Sports keeper Mark Cuff. After half an hour a Bridport free kick was again well stopped by Mark Cuff as it skidded in on the wet turf. Then a good run from Josh Payne saw his shot glance off the post on its way past and a couple of minutes later a great crossfield pass from Malik Kamal was headed wide by Josh. In the 43rd minute Steve Ormrod fizzed over a low cross which Duncan McCabe just failed to convert at the far post. However 2 minutes later came a moment of déjà-vu when Steve Ormrod fired over another low cross and this time DUNCAN McCABE slid in at the far post to force the ball over the line. The ball was hooked away by a defender but the linesman was in no doubt that the ball had crossed the line and a lack of protest from the Bridport defenders told it’s own story. Half-time 2-0.

With conditions deteriorating it was a tough slog for the players and for a while the game deteriorated into a midfield battle with neither side able to create much. Westlands made a move to introduce some fresh legs in the 70th minute with Jake Worth replacing Josh Payne and this was followed 5 minutes later with Tim Trevett replacing Duncan McCabe. This paid dividends in the 82nd minute, Jake Worth played a nice pass in behind the Bridport left back and Steve Ormrod raced in and laid the ball across to the far post where TIM TREVETT was on the spot to blast it into the roof of the net from close range. Sports then made their final substitution with Harrison Foster replacing Malik Kamal in the midfield. Steve Ormrod was creating havoc with some rampaging runs down the right wing but nobody was able to convert any of his crosses to increase Sports lead further. In the 89th minute Bridport almost snatched a late consolation but were denied by a brilliant save from Mark Cuff who tipped a shot from point blank range over the bar. The last act of the match saw Harrison Foster clip a nice cross over to the far post where Tim Trevett appeared to slip and fall over. Final result 3-0.

A difficult game for both sides in the conditions but Sports managed to grind out the result  against a spirited Bridport side who never gave up but were not helped by a lack of subs.

There were a few contenders for Man of the Match, Mark Cuff was excellent on a day that did not suit goalkeepers and Steve Ormrod ran the visitor's defence ragged in the second half but the award once again goes to Malik Kamal for his ball winning and distribution from midfield.

Line-up: 1.M.Cuff 2.L.Holland 3.D.Ewens 4.S.Smith 5.O.Wake (c) 6.M.Kamal 7.J.Payne 8.J.Green 9.S.Ormrod 10.C.Gundry 11.D.McCabe 12.T.Trevett 14.H.Foster 15.J.Worth

Sat 11th Mar: Dorset Premier League: SHAFTESBURY 0  WESTLAND SPORTS 5

Another damp and bitterly cold day up on Shaftesbury hill but a perfect 3G surface so we were confident Sports would be able to play their normal passing game and get back on the winning trail. There were four team changes from midweek with Olly Wake, Malik Kamal, Calum Gundry and Luca Martin starting in place of Sam Smith, Steve Ormrod, Jamie Thompson and Josh Payne. Westlands took control from the start and were soon putting pressure on the Shaftesbury defence. In the 6th minute two of their defenders got careless 20 yards out and the loose ball was gobbled up by PHIL ORMROD who raced through and smashed the ball high into the far corner. Four minutes later it was 2-0 when Luca Martin was upended in the box and the referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. PHIL ORMROD stepped up and buried the spot kick in the corner. Westlands were cutting through the Shaftesbury defence at will and in the 18th minute increased their lead to 3. A long high cross by Dan Ewens looked to be drifting past the far post until PHIL ORMROD leapt high and headed into the net from a yard out. 3-0 to Westlands and the chances kept coming. A couple of good chances were missed before Sports scored their 4th goal in the 33rd minute. A long free kick from the left was headed back across goal to DUNCAN McCABE who controlled the ball and drilled it into the far corner. Shaftesbury had a few attacks but failed to really trouble Mark Cuff in the Westlands goal. Half-time 0-4.

 Two minutes into the second half Jamie Green was clearly fouled in the box and the referee once again pointed to the spot. Jamie Green insisted on taking the kick but his sidefoot shot was saved by the keeper. However, 4 minutes later Sports did make it 5 when a perfect through pass from Tim Trevett put PHIL ORMROD in and once again he thumped the ball into the net giving the keeper no chance. A few minutes later came Westlands first sub, Jamie Green being replaced by Steve Ormrod.  Shaftesbury now came into the game and started to pass the ball around and play with a bit more intent but all far too late with the game already lost. Sports were now happy to just control things with the odd break forward still causing the Shaftesbury defence problems. Duncan McCabe was put through and managed to miss the target from 10 yards out. Then a Phil Ormrod flick just missed the far post and Luca Martin raced past two defenders but just couldn’t pick

out a colleague with the cross. In the 70th minute Duncan McCabe was replaced by Harrison Foster and 10 minutes later Luca Martin was replaced by Max Rowswell as Westlands basically played out time. In the last minute Sports conceded a silly free kick right on the edge of the box but Mark Cuff pulled off a smart save to preserve his clean sheet.

For Man of the match this week it was difficult to ignore the claims of 4 goal Phil Ormrod however the award goes to Malik Kamal for a strong performance in midfield.

Line-up: 1.M.Cuff 2.S.Plumley 3.D.Ewens 4.T.Trevett 5.O.Wake (c) 6.M.Kamal 7.L.Martin 8.J.Green 9.P.Ormrod 10.P. 11.D.McCabe 12.S.Ormrod 14.H.Foster 15.M.Rowswell

Wed 8th Mar: Dorset Premier League: STURMINSTER NEWTON 4  WESTLAND SPORTS 1

It was a miserable wet night in Sturminster Newton, and with the pitch wet and soggy not ideal conditions for Westlands who like to pass the ball around. With Olly Wake missing from the defence and skipper Adam Barratt failing a fitness test Sports were forced into a couple of changes, Tim Trevett and Duncan McCabe stepping in.

The home side, who had several tall players in their team, showed their hand early on, pumping long balls forward and hoping to battle for possession and maybe win a set piece. Unfortunately, Westlands seemed to get drawn into the same tactic and it made for grim viewing for the first 10 minutes. At last, in the 14th minute, Sports managed to string a few passes together and create a chance with a Jamie Thompson shot being turned round the post. That corner was pumped in high but easily defended by the Stur defence. Two minutes later the home team showed how it should be done. They won a corner out on the right and when the ball came over, their big #5, Nick Hewlett, rose highest to head in. Hewlett had been drafted in from Shepton Mallett for this match and it had proved an astute dual signing after only 16 minutes. Sturminster were giving the Westlands defence some problems from set pieces and in the 22nd minute Sports keeper Mark Cuff made an outstanding double save to deny Stur a 2 goal lead. And on the half hour a free kick into the box caused more problems and a header was turned round the post by Cuffie who was again in action from the resulting corner tipping a shot over the bar. In between these incidents Westlands had looked a bit better going forward, putting a few passes together but not creating any clear chances. In the 32nd minute disaster struck with the second goal for the home side. Mark Cuff, who had been superb for Westlands, scuffed a goal kick straight to the Stur #9 who evaded a couple of lunging tackles and belted the ball in to make it 2-0. For the remainder of the half Sports dominated but were unable to make their possession count. Half-time 2-0.

Surprisingly no changes for Westlands at half time as one or two players had looked off the pace. The game settled down to the pattern set before the break with Westlands having decent possession but going nowhere and Sturminster looking more dangerous with their more direct approach. Westlands then killed any hopes they might have had of getting back into the game when Jamie Thompson was red carded on the hour mark. Confusing incident as the referee seemed to wave a yellow card and then quickly whipped out the red. This prompted a sub for Westlands, Duncan McCabe off and Calum Gundry on. However things only got worse for 10 man Sports a few minutes later with the third goal for the home team. The ball was given away in midfield and quikly moved forward to an unmarked Sturminster player and he scored with a low shot. Another sub now came on for Sports Luca Martin replacing Josh Payne. This had some effect as five minutes later when the Stur defence failed to clear a corner LUCA MARTIN tucked the ball into the far corner of the net to make it 3-1. Any hope of a stirring fightback for the 10 men was soon quashed as a minute after we scored Phil Ormrod got himself sin-binned for dissent. Down to 9 men now Sports were struggling and in the 82nd Sturminster made it 4-1 when a high dipping shot found the far corner of the net. Just when we thought Westlands night couldn’t get any worse it did, Sam Plumley being red carded for foul play. Not sure if it was a second yellow or a straight red, either way it left Westlands down to 8 men !  Luckily Phil Ormrod was soon restored from the sin-bin so with 9 men for the rest of the game Sports managed to hold out without conceding, even putting in a couple of attacks. Final score 4-1.

Westlands will want to forget this performance, getting it wrong on all aspects of the game and the poor discipline may come back to haunt them with suspensions etc.

Man of the match was Dan Ewens, who worked hard down the left.

Line-up: 1.M.Cuff 2.S.Plumley 3.D.Ewens 4.T.Trevett 5.S.Smith (c) 6.D.McCabe 7.J.Thompson 8.J.Green 9.S.Ormrod 10.P.Ormrod 11.J.Payne 12.L.Martin 14.M.Kamal 15.C.Gundry

Sat 25th Feb: Dorset Premier League: WESTLAND SPORTS 6  HAMWORTHY UTD RES 1

Two changes for Sports after last week’s win, Jamie Green and Josh Payne restored to the team at the expense of Jamie Thompson and Ollie Hebbard . The weather was fine and the pitch was in great condition for the time of year so all set for a good game against a young side who have made a good impression this season, sitting in the top half of the table.

After an opening flurry from the visitors Sports soon took control and a Josh Payne shot was turned round the post by the visitor’s keeper. From the corner Steve Ormrod headed well wide. In the 10th minute Westlands took the lead, PHIL ORMROD drove into the box, held off a defender and scored with a low shot. Two minutes later Steve Ormrod cut in from the right, beat a defender and smashed a shot off the near post. Things looked bad for Hamworthy at this point but they soon hit back with an equaliser in the 17th minute.  Some good play opened up the Sports defence and the ball was driven into the far corner from 15 yards out to put Hamworthy on level terms. Westlands hit back and laid siege to the visitor’s goal. A good passing move gave Steve Ormrod a chance but his shot was palmed round the post by the keeper for a corner. From the kick Josh Payne’s header was deflected over the bar and from the 3rd corner Jamie Green fired over the top. Finally in the 25th minute Westlands regained the lead. A perfect Josh Payne pass put PHIL ORMROD through and he thumped the ball into the net for his second goal of the game. After 33 minutes it was 3-1 when STEVE ORMROD banged in a penalty after Duncan McCabe was brought down on the edge of the box.. Half time 3-1.

After the break Hamworthy rallied a bit and things were quite even with Sports best chance being a Josh Payne shot that was blocked by the keeper who was having a good game. Hamworthy had some neat build up play but were unable to test Sports keeper Mark Cuff.  On the hour mark came the first substitution for Westlands with Adam Barratt retiring injured being replaced by Malik Kamal. In the 70th minute Phil Ormrod raced down the right wing and played a lovely ball back across goal where MALIK KAMAL drilled it low and hard into the net from 15 yards out. Five minutes later came the second sub for Westlands, Luca Martin replacing Duncan McCabe. The fifth goal followed in the 83rd minute, Phil Ormrod ran onto a long ball down the left and crossed for brother STEVE ORMROD to smash the ball in from close range. Another long pass then gave Steve Ormrod a chance for his hat-trick but his shot rattled off the post. With 5 minutes to go Sports final substitution saw Josh Payne replaced by Harrison Foster who almost got his name on the score sheet two minutes later. A Phil Ormrod shot was turned round the post for a corner and when the kick came over Harrison rose highest but put his header over the bar.The final goal came in the 94th minute, Phil Ormrod turned in the box and squared the ball to LUCA MARTIN who scored with an nice sidefoot finish.

Final score 6-1 and a satisfying performance from Westlands who have been a bit up and down recently.

The man-of-the-Match was shared this week by Steve and Phil Ormrod whose power and pace was too much for the Hamworthy defence.

Line-up: 1.M.Cuff 2.S.Plumley 3.D.Ewens 4.O.Wake 5.S.Smith 6.A.Barratt (c) 7.D.McCabe 8.J.Green 9.S.Ormrod 10.P.Ormrod 11.J.Payne 12.L.Martin 14.M.Kamal 15.H.Foster

Sat 18th Feb: Dorset Premier League: POOLE BOROUGH 1  WESTLAND SPORTS 2

Back on league business and the squad was back to almost full strength for what is usually a difficult ground for us, I seem to remember losing here last season. The pitch was not great, had decent grass cover, but soft and very bumpy.

Westlands were quick out the traps and soon had Poole on the defensive. An early corner in the 4th minute saw a Sam Smith header from a corner cleared off the line. Five minutes later, from another Sports corner, a Phil Ormrod shot was well saved by the Poole keeper. The home side were limited to the odd counter attack and in the 32nd minute, opened the scoring against the run of play. Olly Wake tried to step inside an opponent just inside his own half and slipped over conceding possession. That left Sam Smith against two opponents and a pass inside was followed by their attacker almost walking the ball into the net. Sports almost, and maybe should have, equalised a few minutes later when Phil Ormrod netted only for the goal to be ruled out by the club linesman for handball. As the ball came into the crowded box there was definitely a handball in there but I couldn’t be sure who the guilty party was. In the 43rd minute Sports eventually got a deserved equaliser. Duncan McCabe fired over a free kick with a bit of pace on it and a Poole defender turned it into his own net for an OG. Just before half time Sports almost went in front when a Phil Ormrod header from a corner was again cleared off the line, showing the value of having men on the posts. Half-time 1-1.

Into the second half and Westlands were back on the attack. A Phil Ormrod shot was tipped round the post for a corner and from the kick Jamie Thompson blasted a shot over the top. In the 55th minute Ollie Hebbard made a great run and played a perfect through ball to Duncan McCabe who was clean through but his shot was saved by the onrushing keeper who was having a great game. He was again in action five minutes later, parrying an Ollie Hebbard shot. But he was beaten in the 61st minute when Sports took the lead. Jamie Thompson beat a couple of men out on the right and cut inside along the byeline before delivering a perfect low cross across the front of the goal which PHIL ORMROD sidefooted in from a yard out. No more than Sports deserved really and they continued to press looking for a third goal to kill off the game. In the 66th minute a scramble in the Poole box ended with Phil Ormrod firing over the bar. In the 75th minute Jamie Green came on to replace the injured Sam Plumley and a minute later Ollie Hebbard burst through the home defence but once again the Poole keeper saved the final shot. Going into the last 10 minutes Sports subbed on Malik Kamal for Jamie Thompson and Josh Payne for Ollie Hebbard and seemed to settle for the one goal win. No further action really as Sports played out the final minutes. Full time score 1-2.

Man-of the-match was Jamie Thompson who always looked dangerous out on the left and made the winning goal with some good close skills.

Line-up: 1.M.Cuff 2.S.Plumley 3.D.Ewens 4.O.Wake 5.S.Smith 6.A.Barratt (c) 7.J.Thompson 8.D.McCabe 9.S.Ormrod 10.P.Ormrod 11.O.Hebbard 12.J.Green 14.M.Kamal 15.J.Payne, 16.C.Gundry.

Sat 15th Feb:Somerset Senior Cup, R4: ASHTON & BACKWELL RES 1  WESTLAND SPORTS 1  (4-2 pens)

Always a tough task this, away midweek in the cup, and especially after a damaging defeat in our previous match. Team selection was a problem as well with 8 current first team regulars missing. Three missed the signing deadline (Jamie Thompson, Cal Gundry & Duncan McCabe), 3 are injured (Sam Smith, Olly Wake, & Joe Smith), one working (Josh Payne) and 1 on holiday (Luca Martin). The manager managed to fill the gaps with the help of the reserves and U18s and we still felt we had a good enough squad on the night to get a result. Dan Ewens moved to centre half to partner Tim Trevett with U18 player Harrison Foster coming in at left back. Malik Kamal and Jamie Green returned to the team and another U18 Aiden Vincent started on the left. The subs bench was Josh John, Connor Fletcher, Jake Worth, Connor Linham and Lewis Morgan. The pitch was in decent condition and the weather was fine so no excuses there.

Inevitably, with all the changes, Sports started a bit sluggish but with both teams settling into the game there wasn’t much action for the first ten minutes or so. The first serious attempt at goal came from the home team when a shot from 20 yards flew just wide. Then, in the 14th minute we had a very controversial moment when Phil Ormrod outpaced the Ashton defence and as he was about to shoot he was wiped out by the goalkeeper who charged off his line straight into him with no attempt to play the ball. A nailed-on penalty we thought so there were cries of disbelief when the referee said no. Even their keeper knew he had got away with one. After that incident the game deteriorated into a midfield battle with Westlands struggling to get any passing going. The home team looked a bit more composed and territorially were on top but were unable to trouble Sports keeper Mark Cuff.

Half-time 0-0.

The home team came out fired up for the second half and soon had the Sports defence on the back foot.

A good cross into the box from their left back was met first time by a forward but Mark Cuff pulled off a great reaction save from point blank range. A couple of minutes later another cross driven across the box was turned away by Cuffie at full stretch. All the attacks were coming down their left wing and in the 52nd minute the inevitable happened. A cross was fired in and this time an Ashton forward got there first and drove the ball in from a couple of yards out. This setback seemed to wake Westlands up and they immediately went on the attack. Phil Ormrod lobbed their keeper but a defender got back to clear the ball off the line. Westlands continued to press but just couldn’t make the breakthrough. In the 65th minute Sports made their first two substitutions, Harrison Foster and Aiden Vincent being replaced by Lewis Morgan and Connor Linham. Lewis Morgan immediately got involved thumping a shot just wide. In the 70th minute Phil Ormrod got his head to a corner but again the ball was cleared off the line. Five minutes later Lewis Morgan ran onto a through ball but unfortunately hooked the ball over the bar. In the 77th minute Sports equalised. A cross into the box from the right wing was turned in by skipper ADAM BARRATT at the far post. Westlands were now pressing for the winner and another cross in was just scrambled away for a corner which was headed over the top. Sports had been dominant since going behind but just couldn’t find that elusive winner and the match ended 1-1. On to the dreaded penalty shoot out and with STEVE ORMROD then PHIL ORMROD both scoring and the home team doing the same we were tied at 2-2 on penalties. Then Jamie Green and Connor Linham both missed for Sports and with Ashton netting both their kicks we went out 4-2 on penalties.

Another disappointing night for Westlands but with this tie having been scheduled for December 3rd and postponed 5 times it just felt like we were destined to lose this match.

Man of the match is Dan Ewens who filled in very well at centre half winning the majority of his tackles and headers.

Line-up: 1.M.Cuff 2.S.Plumley 3.H.Foster 4.D.Ewens 5.T.Trevett 6.A.Barratt (c) 7.M.Kamal 8.J.Green 9.S.Ormrod 10.P.Ormrod 11.A.Vincent 12.L.Morgan 14.C.Linham 15.J.John, 16.Connor Fletcher, 17.Jake Worth.

Sat 11th Feb: Dorset Premier League: MERLEY COBHAM SPORTS 3  WESTLAND SPORTS 2

This was a real shocker for the Westlands contingent to suffer. Two nil up with 20 minutes to go, we shouldn’t be going home empty handed but that’s what happened and unfortunately this kind of performance doesn’t win leagues.

In the starting line up Olly Wake and Josh Payne were missing from the team that played in midweek, being replaced by Tim Trevett and Phil Ormrod. It was a lovely surface and the weather was fine so it was a perfect afternoon for football.

Westlands soon took control, passing the ball well and were soon pressing the Merley goal. In the 15th minute Phil Ormrod had a good effort tipped onto the post by the Merley keeper. A few minutes later the keeper foiled Steve Ormrod, turning his effort round the post. It was all Westlands and in the 32nd minute we thought the net would bulge when Phil Ormrod ran onto a perfect through ball from Jamie Thomson but he dragged his shot wide of the far post. After 40 minutes a Steve Ormrod cross was nearly turned into his own net by a Merley defender, their keeper coming to the rescue again. Eventually, in the 42nd minute, Sports took the lead. A deep cross to the far post by Dan Ewens was put back across the goal by Calum Gundry and tucked away by STEVE ORMROD. That gave Sports a 1-0 lead at half time, which really could have been more but for the Merley keepers heroics.

A great start to the second half for Sports saw PHIL ORMROD race through, beat his man and drive a low shot into the far corner of the net to give Westlands that crucial second goal. Sports kept the pressure on and forced several corners but failed to add to their lead. With 20 minutes to go Duncan McCabe, who was struggling, was replaced by Josh John. Then, in the 75th minute the fight back began. A long throw into Westlands box was not cleared after two attempts and eventually fell to a Merley player who thumped it through the crowd into the net. A poor goal to lose but worse was to come a couple of minutes later. Another long throw into the Westlands box was not dealt with. Then a scuffed clearance went straight to an unmarked Merley player who struck a low shot into the far corner of the net to make it 2-2. Westlands regrouped, replacing Calum Gundry with Malik Kamal, and tried hard to get back in front. Sam Smith had a great effort from a corner brilliantly saved by the Merley keeper and Josh John had a shot cleared off the line. The home side were pushing men forward now and beginning to look dangerous. This ended in controversy in the 88th minute when an attempted cross from the right was blocked by Tim Trevett and appeared to come off his arm. The referee immediately pointed to the spot to the dismay of the Westland players. It was one of these crazy handball decisions that have come to blight our sport. Accidental, deliberate, outwith body shape, above T-shirt line, its all a complete shambles in my view !  Anyway, after strong protests by the Westland players that resulted in a yellow card for Malik Kamal and a sin-bin for Phil Ormrod, the penalty kick was tucked away for what proved to be the winning goal.

An amazing finish to what had been an entertaining game of football but an afternoon Westlands will want to forget.

Man of the match was Duncan McCabe who filled in wide on the right due to our shortage of wingers on the day and put in a very tidy performance, not giving the ball away and moving it on quickly. Unfortunately, he had to retire with 20 minutes to go and perhaps his cool play would have helped in what followed his departure.

Line-up: 1.M.Cuff 2.S.Plumley 3.D.Ewens 4.S.Smith 5.T.Trevett 6.A.Barratt (c) 7.D.McCabe 8.C.Gundry 9.S.Ormrod 10.P.Ormrod 11.J.Thompson 12.A.Vincent 14.M.Kamal 15.J.John.

Wed 7th Feb: Dorset Premier League: DORCHESTER SPORTS 1  WESTLAND SPORTS 4

This was a tough task on a bitterly cold Wednesday night against one of our rivals in the chase for the league title. Teamwise, top scorer Phil Ormrod was missing due to illness so Duncan McCabe donned the #10 shirt. At the back Sam Smith returned and there was also a starting spot for Josh Payne after injury problems.

Dorchester gave Westlands a scare in the first minute when some sloppy defending allowed a cross to come over and their forward's header bounced on the crossbar and went over. After that Westlands soon settled on the 4G surface, passing well and dominating possession and in the 9th minute took the lead. A free kick was put into the Dorchester box where the ball fell to SAM SMITH who hooked it goalwards on the half turn and it found the back of the net through a crowd of players. In the 20th minute Sports keeper Mark Cuff made a good save from a free kick which was heading for the bottom corner. A couple of minutes later Jamie Thompson had a shot saved by the Dorchester keeper who was called into action again a few minutes later, diving at the feet of Steve Ormrod when he was put clean through. With 38 minutes on the clock Westlands increased their lead. After some patient passing in their own half drew Dorchester players in, Sam Smith then played a long pass out to JAMIE THOMPSON on the left wing. Jamie cut inside onto his right foot and thumped in a shot from 22 yards which completely deceived the Dorchester keeper and flew into the net. That put Westlands firmly in the driving seat and we turned round 2-0 up at the break.A good first half from Sports who were good value for their 2 goal lead.

We expected a bit of a reaction from the home team in the second half but they had the wind taken out their sails when Westlands made it 3-0 in the 47th minute. Josh Payne played an exquisite crossfield pass to JAMIE THOMPSON who once again cut inside and from the edge of the box scored with a low shot into the far corner. An excellent goal that one and with Sports now 3-0 up, things were looking difficult for Dorchester. However, only 2 minutes later, they made the most positive response. Westlands conceded a soft free kick on the edge of the box and the resulting shot squirmed out of keeper Mark Cuff’s grasp and was booted into the net by a Dorchester player following up. That gave the home side a glimmer of hope and they began to put the pressure on and pinned Westlands back in their own half. Just after the hour Westlands boss Jake Coombes decided to replace some players who were looking a bit leggy. Josh Payne, Duncan McCabe and Calum Gundry were replaced by Josh John, Malik Kamal and Jamie Green and Westlands seemed to adopt a more safety first approach now, filling up the midfield with only Steve Ormrod left up front. Nevertheless the system seemed to be working with Steve O giving the home defence no rest with his hard running and chasing. The Westland supporters did have a few dodgy moments to endure however, none more dodgy than when Dan Ewens, attempting to clear his lines, completely miscued his clearance and the ball smacked off his own crossbar before being scrambled away ! The game was finally wrapped up in the last minute when STEVE ORMROD raced down the right wing, cut in, and from an acute angle smashed the ball into the far top corner. What a finish that was and a fitting end to a good evening for the Westland team.

Final score 4-1.  A good result for Sports of course but a thoroughly entertaining match watched by a large contingent of Westland supporters who went back up the A37 well pleased with the result.

Man-of-the-match was Jamie Thompson who banged in a couple of beauties.

Line-up: 1.M.Cuff 2.S.Plumley 3.D.Ewens 4.S.Smith 5.O.Wake 6.A.Barratt (c) 7.J.Thompson 8.C.Gundry 9.S.Ormrod 10.D.McCabe 11.J.Payne 12.J.Green 14.M.Kamal 15.J.John

Sat 4th Feb: Dorset Premier League : SWANAGE TOWN 1  WESTLAND SPORTS 4 

Sports took the lead after just 5 minutes following a corner and although the Swans keeper produced a great save, he was unable to prevent PHIL ORMROD heading home from close range. Sports doubled their lead on 25 minutes when JAMIE THOMPSON skipped past several challenges and drilled his shot into the net. A great solo effort from the Westlands winger. Sports were in control for the rest of the first half, knocking the ball around on the lovely surface and preventing the  Swans having any real chances  H/T 0-2.
As to be expected Swanage seemed more determined in the second half and tried to get back into the game with a couple of long range efforts. Eventually they reduced the arrears with a well struck volley after a header was cleared off the line following a corner. Swanage’s hope of a comeback were destroyed when just 2 minutes later PHIL ORMROD completed his brace from close range, with the home keeper suffering an injury trying to prevent the goal and unable to continue. Deep into stoppage time, that man again PHIL ORMROD completed his hat-trick with a long-range shot following some sloppy defending by the home side. F/T 1-4.A good win on the road for Sports and once again Phil Ormrod gets the man-of-the-match award.

Line-up: 1.M.Cuff 2.S.Plumley 3.D.Ewens 4.T.Trevett 5.O.Wake 6.A.Barratt (c) 7.J.Thompson 8.C.Gundry 9.S.Ormrod 10.P.Ormrod 11.J.Smith 12.D.McCabe 14.M.Kamal 15.S.Smith

Sat 28th Jan: Dorset Premier League : WESTLAND SPORTS 4  STURMINSTER MARSHALL 2

Westlands came into this game on the back of a loss against Sturminster Marshall in the cup but looked to get back to winning ways against the same opposition in the league. Team news saw new signings Calum Gundry and Duncan McCabe given starting positions and Sam Smith returned to form a new central defence partnership with Tim Trevett. The pitch looked in good condition following the recent bad weather  but there was a chill wind blowing in from the west.

The first half saw an early opportunity for Sturminster after a misplaced pass from Sports defender TimTrevett let their #11 in but he dragged his shot wide of the goal. An early warning for Sports to tighten up on the Sturminster #11 who had been their best player in the recent cup encounter. From this point Westlands controlled the play with large amounts of possession, controlling the ball at the back and playing into midfield. In five minutes Sports opened the scoring from a set piece delivered by skipper Adam Barrett. The ball was played over the Sturminster defence and striker PHIL ORMROD came in on the blind side and cleverly lifted the ball over the Sturminster keeper into the net. Sturminster tried to fight back with a spell of pressure but couldn't get a shot on target with a couple of efforts put wide.

The second goal was scored in the 30th minute and came from a very similar position as the first goal. Once again Adam Barrett  played a perfect cross into the box and PHIL ORMROD leapt highest and headed the ball over the opposing keeper whose lack of height was being exposed. Westlands were looking comfortable now and when the third goal came in the 42nd minute it was definitely a contender for goal of the season. After a cross was headed away by a Sturminster defender JOE SMITH  controlled the ball around 25 yards from goal, and on the half volley hammered the ball into the opposite top corner. A great goal with great technique shown. The half ended with Sturminster's #11 again bursting through but he blasted his shot over the top. Half-time 3-0.

After half time, the game went a bit quiet for the first 15 minutes with the urgency lacking from both teams. Steve Ormrod had a header and a shot that went just wide as Westands tried to increse their lead. But in the 60th minute Sturminster brought the game back to life by grabbing a goal. A moment of slackness in the Sports defence saw a scuffed shot find it’s way through to an unmarked Sturminster forward to tap home. This spurred the visitor's on and a couple of minutes later a through pass picked out a Sturminster forward and as he ran into the box he was challenged by Sports defender Sam Smith. Both went down in a tangle of legs and arms and the referee immediately pointed to the spot. The penalty was comfortably stroked into the corner and it was now 3-2 and game on !! To make things worse, Sports then were reduced to ten men after Tim Trevett was sin-binned for complaining about the award of the penalty !!  Just the boost the visitor's needed, and they piled on the pressure but Sports managed to weather the 10 minutes without conceding further. However, Westlands had now passed the initiative to the opposition and they continued to press with Westlands defence now playing deeper and deeper. In the 71st minute Sturminster had the ball in the net but an offside flag cut short their celebrations. With 5 minutes to go Sports had now decided to hang on to what they had and two subs were introduced, Jamie Green and Malik Kamal replacing Calum Gundry and Joe Smith. As the game moved into overtime it looked as if Westlands had held on but in the 92nd minute they made sure with the fourth goal. A quick throw in from Duncan McCabe up the line put PHIL ORMROD away and he raced into the box and drove thr ball low and hard into the far corner to complete his hat trick. Final score 4-2 to Westlands but with a 3-0 half time lead Sports should have been in control of this game but they let things slip and ended up hanging on in the end. A worrying sight as we surrendered a 3 goal half time lead earlier in the season ending up drawing the match and dropping two precious points. Nevertheless a very welcome victory and hopefully a return to form as we enter the crunch part of the season.

Man of the match was Phil Ormrod for a brilliant hat-trick and an all-action performance that saw him collapse with cramp at the end of the game. An example to everyone really that rewards in life are only gained by hard work !

Line-up: 1.M.Cuff 2.D.McCabe 3.D.Ewens 4.T.Trevett 5.S.Smith 6.A.Barratt (c) 7.L.Martin 8.C.Gundry 9.S.Ormrod 10.P.Ormrod 11.J.Smith 12.S.Plumley 14.M.Kamal 15.J.Green

Sat 21st Jan: Dorset Prem League Cup, Qtr-final: STURMINSTER MARSHALL 2  WESTLAND SPORTS 1

The pitch was testing to say the least, hard underneath, soft on top, It was also very rutted and bumpy so was a bit of a leveller. Westlands made the mistake of trying to play their normal passing game and so frequently gave away possession or got bogged down in midfield. Being more used to these conditions the home team got the ball forward quickly in behind the Sports defence which caused problems. In the 15th minute a through ball put the Sturminster #11 away and as he ran into the box he was challenged by a defender and went down. Penalty said the referee which was a bit generous, but the #11 picked himself up and slotted away the spot kick to put the home side one up. Westlands tried to get back into the game but couldn’t really make much headway against a well organised home defence. In the 28th minute a long ball put Sturminster’s #11 clean through and he rounded keeper Mark Cuff and slotted the ball into the net. Sports were on the back foot now as the home side kept up the pressure and there was some dodgy moments before the welcome half time whistle was blown.

Westlands came out for the second half with surprisingly no changes to the team but after ten minutes two substitutes were introduced, Calum Gundry and Jamie Thomson replacing Malik Kamal and Joe Smith.

Sports got a grip of the game now and really piled on the pressure forcing several corners, one melee ended with the ball cleared off the line. Eventually, in the 67th minute Westlands scored. Another corner caused havoc in the goalmouth and LUCA MARTIN eventually hooked the ball into the net. With just over 20 minutes to go Sports were definitely back in with a chance. Constant pressure now from Westlands and in the 75th minute a low shot from Phil Ormrod whizzed just past the post. Then Phil sent in a looping header which dipped over the keeper but unluckily bounced on top of the bar and over. With time running out Phil Ormrod drove into the box and was blatantly held back by a defender. He stayed on his feet, carried on, and got his shot away which the keeper blocked. We assumed the referee would then award the penalty but no, he waved play on ! The last few minutes were a bit of a farce with Sturminster players going down injured at the drop of a hat and eventually asking for treatment. With the game getting a bit feisty the referee was taking his time with decisions to seemingly calm things down but this didn’t work in Westland’s favour. Eventually time ran out and so did our cup run for another year.

Man-of-the-match was Phil Ormrod who’s driving runs from midfield caused the opposition problems.

Line-up: 1.M.Cuff 2.S.Plumley 3.D.Ewens 4.J.Green 5.O.Wake 6.A.Barratt (c) 7.L.Martin 8.M.Kamal 9.S.Ormrod 10.P.Ormrod 11.J.Smith 12.J.Thomson 14.D.McCabe 15.C.Gundry 16.S.Smith

Saturday 7th Jan : Dorset Premier League: BLANDFORD UTD 2  WESTLAND SPORTS 1

Six weeks without a game and a heavy pitch made this a tricky fixture against a team who had drawn with us at Alvington earlier in the season. It was a fairly normal Sports lineup with new signing Calum Gundry included in the squad for the first time.

Blandford started quickly their #9 getting a shot off in the first minute that Mark Cuff gathered well on the greasy surface. A couple of minutes later a Blandford free kick from 20 yards out flew just past the far post.

After the first ten minutes Sports began to come into the game and Jamie Green had a shot which went wide. That was followed in the 15th minute by the opening goal. Luca Martin, who had been giving the Blandford left back a torrid time, skipped past him once again and put over a low cross that JAMIE GREEN thumped into the back of the net. Just what Westlands needed after a slow start so we were confident we could get a result now. A few minutes later we again conceded a free kick just outside the box and again the kick went just wide. Only 4 minutes after Westlands had taken the lead Blandford grabbed the equaliser with a goal that was a bit of a disaster from Westlands viewpoint. A low cross was fired across from almost at the byeline, it seemed to bounce up over keeper Mark Cuff’s arms and deflected off Olly Wake’s shin for an OG. For the rest of the half it was fairly even, Westlands dominating possession but making too many passes in their own half and Blandford always dangerous in attack getting the ball forward early

Half-time 1-1.

The second half followed a similar pattern, Westlands dominating but the home side dangerous on the counter. In the 55th minute Jamie Green was replaced by Malik Kamal but ten minutes later disaster struck. Sports lost the ball in midfield and with players having pushed forward we were open at the back. A nice through ball put their #10 clean through and he coolly slotted the ball under the keeper into the net. Westlands really applied the pressure then but the home team were getting men behind the ball and Sports were finding it hard to break them down. Joe Smith was replaced by Josh John and in the 70th minute Steve Ormrod netted a header only to have the “goal” disallowed for a foul. Sports forced numerous corners but the deliveries were poor and the Blandford defence dealt with them fairly easily. After giving their left back a hard time in the first half Luca Martin had oddly been switched to the left wing in the second half but he nearly grabbed the equaliser in the 85th minute. The ball was played across to the far post and Luca smashed it goalwards only to see the Blandford keeper pull off an astounding reaction save. Dan Ewens then went off with cramp and was replaced by Calum Gundry. Unfortunately there were no more chances so the final score was 2-1. A disappointing day for Westlands who didn’t seem to adapt their play to the conditions as well as the home team.

Man-of-the-match was Phil Ormrod who was tireless in the midfield.

Line-up: 1.M.Cuff 2.S.Plumley 3.D.Ewens 4.T.Trevett 5.O.Wake 6.A.Barratt (c) 7.L.Martin 8.J.Green 9.S.Ormrod 10.P.Ormrod 11.J.Smith 12.M.Kamal 14.J.John 15.C.Gundry

Saturday 26th Nov : Dorset Premier League: PORTLAND UTD RES 1  WESTLAND SPORTS 4

Three changes from last weeks starting line-up with Malik Kamal, Phil Ormrod and new signing Ollie Hebbard replacing Olly Wake, Luca Martin and Lewis Morgan. On the bench we had Josh Payne, Harrison Foster and Jamie David. The weather was atrocious, strong wind and driving rain sweeping down the pitch, fairly standard for Portland I’m told ! The home team are struggling near the bottom of the table so a Westlands win was expected but we came up here under similar circumstances last season and got thumped 6-2 !!  Sports were kicking against the elements in the first half and looked smart in their new red and white away kit but might have been regretting the fact it had short sleeves !

From the start Westlands looked pretty composed, knocking the ball around and showing some intent with some early breaks upfield. Phil Ormrod had the ball in the Portland net in the 6th minute but the flag went up for offside. A few minutes later the Portland right winger picked the ball up just inside the Westlands half, ran about 30 yards past three defenders and smashed a shot off the crossbar. A warning for Westlands there and they were soon back on the attack and opened the scoring in the 18th minute. An outswinging corner kick was headed goalwards by JAKE SMEETON and looked as though it was going over the bar until, to everyone’s surprise, including the goalkeeper, the ball dropped into the back of the net ! The elements were having an effect on the game and in the 20th minute a long ball upfield caught out Westlands keeper Mark Cuff who came out to gather and was caught out when the ball, wind assisted, dropped over his head and headed for the empty net, Luckily Jamie Green was alert to chase back and hook the ball off the line. These long balls were causing a bit of a problem for the Westlands defence in the wind and the home side were creating chances but their shooting was off the mark. Sports were still looking composed and scored a second goal in the 40th minute. A PHIL ORMROD header from a corner came off the crossbar and when the Portland defence failed to clear the ball Phil won it back and hooked a hitch-kick shot into the net. Half-time 0-2.

It had been a good first half for Westlands who always looked in control and dominated possession. Although the home side had made a few chances it looked an uphill task for them now as they had to face the wind and rain.

Westlands took control in the second half and began to rack up the chances. Unfortunately most of these were squandered until about 20 minutes in when Joe Smith whipped in a lovely free kick from the left wing and OLLIE HEBBARD just got a glancing header on the ball as it flew into the far corner of the net. Five minutes later it was 4-0. Joe Smith was again the provider, firing in a low corner and OLLIE HEBBARD was again the scorer, stooping to head in. With the game virtually won, Westlands made a couple of subs, Tim Trevett and Joe Smith going off to be replaced by Harrison Foster and Jamie David. In the 81st minute Portland pulled one back with a cracking goal. Their left back played in a deep curling cross that eluded the Sports defence and their right winger hit the ball on the run low into the far corner. It was only a consolation though as the match was played out without further incident. Full-time 1-4.

A good win for Westlands as there are no easy games in this league, especially away from home. Despite the conditions the pitch was in excellent condition and both teams served up a good game that had been very enjoyable to watch. The man-of-the-match was Phil Ormrod who was at the heart of most of Westlands attacks.

Line-up: 1.M.Cuff 2.S.Plumley 3.T.Trevett 4.J.Green 5.J.Smeeton 6.A.Barratt (c) 7.J.Smith 8.M.Kamal 9.S.Ormrod 10.P.Ormrod 11.O.Hebbard 12.H.Foster 14.J.David 15.J.Payne

Saturday 19th Nov : Dorset Premier League: WESTLAND SPORTS 3  DORCHESTER SPORTS 1

This promised to be a cracking match with two teams challenging for the title going head to head, and the game lived up to its billing. After the early sparring Dorchester had the first shot on target in the 10th minute, Sports keeper Mark Cuff getting down to make the save. A quick response from Westlands saw Luca Martin skin his marker and put a cross into the box that caused a bit of panic before it was eventually cleared. In the 15th minute Joe Smith got a header on target but easily saved by the keeper. Westlands were controlling the game now and the Dorchester keeper had to look sharp to save a powerful Lewis Morgan header. In the 20th minute Luca Martin cut in and fired off a shot which the keeper again saved. Then in the 23rd minute Dorchester shocked the home team with the opening goal against the run of play. A long ball from defence was put into the Westland’s half and their #18 outpaced his marker and got his shot away. A partial block seemed to divert the ball past the keeper and it just trickled over the line to put the visitors one up. A simple long ball from back to front had not been defended well so a bit disappointing to fall behind after dominating the game. However it didn’t take Westlands long to get back on level terms. In the 30th minute a deep corner from Luca Martin was headed goalwards by Steve Ormrod and helped on its way into the top corner by the head of JAMIE GREEN. A good goal with Westlands winning first and second balls in the danger zone. As Westlands continued to attack Luca Martin cut inside in the 35th minute and smashed a shot just wide. Just before the break the pressure told when Lewis Morgan was brought down in the box and STEVE ORMROD thumped in the spot kick to give Westlands a deserved 2-1 half time lead.

The second half started in fine style with both sides being positive and looking to create openings. In the 59th minute Westlands extended their lead with an excellent goal. Adam Barratt put in a long free kick from the right wing beyond the far post and JOE SMITH volleyed it into the far corner of the net from an acute angle. Another cracking goal and it gave Westlands a nice two goal cushion going into the last half hour of the game. With 20 minutes remaining Westlands made a double substitution, Tim Trevett and Lewis Morgan being replaced by Phil Ormrod and Dan Ewens. Luca Martin was giving the Dorchester defence a hard time with his direct running and once again he outpaced his marker to put over a tempting cross. Steve Ormrod met it with his head and the visitor’s keeper pulled off another good save. After 75 minutes another substitution for Westlands saw Josh John replace Joe Smith. It looked like an uphill task for Dorchester now but they managed to create a couple of half chances but didn’t really look that dangerous. In fact, in the latter stages of the match it was Westlands who looked like adding to their lead, with Phil Ormrod putting a header just wide of the post into the side netting. The game just sort of petered out then with both sides seeming to accept the inevitable. Full time 3-1 and a very enjoyable game for the good crowd in attendance.

The man of the match was Luca Martin who gave the Dorchester left back a torrid time all afternoon. The award was presented by the match sponsors Yeovil Cricket Club.

Lineup: 1.M.Cuff 2.S.Plumley 3.T.Trevett 4.O.Wake 5.J.Smeeton 6.A.Barratt (c) 7.J.Smith 8.J.Green 9.S.Ormrod 10.L.Morgan 11.L.Martin 12.D.Ewens 14.P.Ormrod 15.J.John 16. J.Payne


Both teams were keen to win this match, Westlands to keep up with the leaders after their defeat last time out and Merley Cobham to get back into the race after some dropped points recently. Sports made 2 changes in the starting lineup, Sam Smith dropped out through injury and Dan Ewens was unavailable. Tim Trevett stepped in to replace Sam at the back but the left back position was more difficult to fill. The managers decided to move Adam Barratt to left back with Phil Ormrod returning to the midfield. Lineup: 1.M.Cuff 2.S.Plumley 3.A.Barratt (c) 4.O.Wake 5.T.Trevett 6.L.Morgan 7.J.John 8.J.Green 9.S.Ormrod 10.P.Ormrod 11.J.Smith 12.M.Kamal 14.C.Linham 15.J.Payne

A strong wind blowing across the pitch might prove a bit troublesome but it was a fine sunny day and with the pitch in good nick we looked forward to a good match. It's a timeline report for a change (with a few opinions thrown in !).

4' : first shot of the match came from Westlands with Josh John shooting over the bar.

12' : a Merley Cobham free kick from 18 yards flew over the bar.

20' : Westlands keeper Mark Cuff was in action, tipping a header round the post. From the corner a shot was well blocked by a defender.

21' : a good pacey run down the wing by Josh John ended with his final shot blocked.

23' : GOAL !  and it goes to the visitors. A cross into the box is controlled by their #9 and he has time to turn and prod the ball  back across the keeper into the corner of the net. Score 0-1.

36' : a Steve Ormrod header goes just wide as Westlands put on a bit of pressure.

42' : a Lewis Morgan shot goes just wide of the post.

45': Half time 0-1, not a great first half from Westlands, never really got their passing going but still everything to play for.

A half time substitution for Westlands saw Malik Kamal come on at right back for Sam Plumley who had tweaked his hamstring. Also the management changed the team positionally, Jamie Green dropped back into centre half, Tim Trevett moved to left back and Adam Barratt returned to his normal beat in the midfield.

52' : Westlands looked a lot more purposeful in the second half in their new shape and a free kick on the edge of the Merley box almost brought the equaliser. Lewis Morgan played it short to Phil Ormrod whose low shot was heading for the far corner until the Merley keeper dived full length to keep it out.

60' : Another Westlands free kick was put into the danger area but Phil Ormrod headed over.

61' : GOAL ! and it's the equaliser for Westlands, JAMIE GREEN putting a looping header into the net from a left wing cross. Great effort and just pure determination from a club stalwart !  Score 1-1.

62' : You are always vulnerable after scoring and Westlands were nearly sucker punched a minute after the equaliser but Cuffy came to the rescue, pushing a shot round the post.

65' : referee sin-binned Joe Smith for dissent  (poor behaviour, just got ourselves level so now down to 10 men !)

71' : Merley Cobham's turn to put a shot over the top, but not far over that one !

72' : A Phil Ormrod shot was then deflected just over the bar and Phil then got his head to the resulting corner but that too went just over.

80' : Double substitution for Westlands and they shake things up looking for a winner, Joe Smith and Josh John replaced by Connor Linham and Josh Payne.

85' : GOAL ! Westlands take the lead !  A lovely through ball puts PHIL ORMROD through and he drills his shot low and hard past the keeper into the net. Clinical finish ! Score 2-1.

91' : Into extra time now and a Merley Cobham free kick is brilliantly saved by Mark Cuff, diving low to make the save.

92' : Connor Linham is put through and has a great chance to tie things up for Westlands but he smashes his shot off the post.

95' : GOAL !  and it's a disaster for Westlands as they defend a corner. The ball comes over to the far post and Malik Kamal pushes an opponent and the referee gives the penalty. Malik then compounds his error by getting sin-binned for dissent ! Merley's #10 drills in the spot kick and we are all level again. Score 2-2.

97' : GOAL ! unbelievably Westlands have snatched the points! In one last gasp all out attack the ten men have grabbed a winning goal. The ball was crossed into the box, it fell to skipper ADAM BARRATT and he smashed it into the net  What a finish to the game ! Score 3-2. Just to complete a poor day for Westlands discipline wise, Connor Linham managed to get himself sent off during the celebrations for the goal ! (how is this possible ?)

98' : Full-time 3-2. An extraordinary finish to the game and great spirit  and determination by the Westland lads to come back and win after the disappointment of losing a late penalty equaliser.

Man-of-the-match went to keeper Mark Cuff for several crucial saves.