Reports 2021-22

Westland Sports FC


Saturday 7th May, Dorset Premier League: SWANAGE TOWN 1  WESTLAND SPORTS 3

Sunday 8th May.............Sports finished the season on a high note with another victory on the road, this time a 3-1 win at Swanage. Again a much changed team, and with no goalkeeper available, normal right back Sam Plumley donned the gloves for the final match of the season on a sun-drenched pitch at Day’s Park.

Westlands made the early running and for the first 10 minutes dominated play. Tim Trevett came close to scoring with a good shot that was pushed for a corner. The home team then began to get a grip of the midfield and Sports were pushed onto the defensive. In the 15th minute a through ball put the Swans #9 in the clear but he dragged his shot wide of the far post. However the warning signs were there for Westlands and in the 19th minute Swanage opened the scoring. The ball was bobbling around in the box and an attempted clearance appeared to ricochet to a Swanage player on the edge of the box and he drilled a shot into the bottom corner. Boosted by the goal, Swanage kept the pressure on and once again a through ball put their player clean through but once again the shot went wide. Sports were always dangerous on the counter however with young Josh John giving the Swanage defence problems with his direct running down the right wing. In the 32nd minute Phil Ormrod headed just over from a corner and in the 45th minute Sports equalised. Josh John fired in a shot that was deflected onto the post and out for a corner. The kick was put over to the far post where STEVE ORMROD came steaming in to power a header into the net. A great goal and just what Westlands needed as they went in for the break. Half-time 1-1.

The second half opened with Westlands in the ascendancy, once again controlling the midfield. A good run by Josh John set up Phil Ormrod but his shot was blocked. In the 52nd minute Sports made their first substitution, Jamie David replacing Jaime Jarman who had taken a few painful knocks. Sports continued to press and they were rewarded in the 63rd minute with a cracking goal. Phil Ormrod beat his marker out on the right and his pass inside was met on the volley by JOSH JOHN, who buried the ball in the far corner. Some good technique there in the execution of the shot. Swanage tried to respond and Sam Plumley made a good save as the #9 burst through again. Sports should really have scored in the 69th minute when Jamie David hung up a good cross to the far post where Josh John headed over. A couple of minutes later Josh Payne fired over the top from 6 yards out when it looked easier to score but it did look as if he was given a bit of a push as he lined up to shoot. In the 72nd minute Sports got the important third goal their pressure deserved. JOSH PAYNE cut in from the left, beat three defenders, got kicked three times, but managed to swivel and smash the ball into the bottom corner. Another good goal for Sports and with the score now 3-1 and Westlands in control it looked as if the game was all over. Another sub for Westlands saw Mat Phillips replace Josh Payne for the final 15 minutes. Westlands now played out the game fairly comfortably, nearly increasing their lead  when a Phil Ormrod shot was turned over the bar by the Swans keeper. Full-time 3-1.

Credit to both sides for giving us a very entertaining game despite it being end of season with nothing at stake. Man of the match is Josh John who was lively throughout with good pace and trickery down the wing.

Sports line-up (4-4-2): S.Plumley; D.Chislett, S.Ormrod, P.Wells, T.Trevett; J.John, J.Boon, A.Barratt, J.Payne; P.Ormrod, J.Jarman. Subs: J.David, M.Phillips.

Saturday 30th April, Dorset Premier League: HAMWORTHY UTD RES 2  WESTLAND SPORTS 5

Tuesday 3rd May..............Westlands ended their recent losing run in the Dorset Premier League with a good 5-2 victory against Hamworthy Utd Res at the County Ground. A visit to County Ground was a trip we had not made for a few years due to Covid shut downs so we were looking forward to the match. Having said that, playing on the 4g artificial surface is not something we normally relish but a decent display a couple of weeks ago on Dorchester’s 4g gave us some cause for confidence.

Both teams had early half chances, but it was Sports who opened the scoring on 18 minutes. A cross from the right was headed into the path of SAM PLUMLEY lurking just off the right post. The Sports’ man took full advantage to ram the ball into the top far corner of the net. Three minutes later Westlands doubled their lead. A good ball was played through to LUCA MARTIN who had little difficulty beating the keeper just inside the left post. With Westlands now getting on top, the home keeper had to be at his best to tip over Steve Ormrod’s close range header from a corner. Nevertheless, the hosts nearly pulled a goal back when a long ball set up a clear opening on the edge of the area. However, with Sports keeper Mark Cuff coming out to narrow the angle, the Hamworthy forward miscued his attempted lob. In the latter stages of the half, Sports forced the home keeper into a couple of tidy saves, while a couple of Hamworthy shots from distance did not miss by much. The Hammers finally gave themselves a lifeline in stoppage time as a fine ball down the right channel put their player in the clear and he ran on to fire the ball low into the net.

HT 1-2 and all to play for now with the home team getting themselves back into the game.

As the second half got under way Westlands were soon starting to take a grip on the game and In the 70th minute grabbed a rather fortuitous third goal. A deflected ball fell perfectly into the path of JOSH JOHN, who had no trouble slotting it home low and hard just inside the far-right post. Sports were now calling the tune, and added a fourth on 78 minutes, this time down to some excellent football. A fine passing move ended with a cheeky backheel by Jaime Jarman to set up a clear chance for JAMIE GREEN a couple of yards out. “Flem” took full advantage, although the ball spun just over the line off the keeper’s leg. Westlands added a fifth on 88 minutes. The Hamworthy keeper and JAIME JARMAN competed for a looping free kick from the right towards the far post. The Westlands’ man came up trumps, cleanly gliding his header into the net to make the score 1-5. In a long period of injury time, Hamworthy would have the last laugh, and a comical goal it was. Steve Ormrod and keeper Mark Cuff completely failed to engage on a back-pass, allowing a Hamworthy player to nip in and turn the ball into an empty net. Final score 2-5.

A good result for Sports, badly needed after a long losing run.

Sports line-up: M.Cuff; D.Chislett, S.Ormrod, F.Chorley, D.Ewens; J.Green, A.Barratt, M.Kamal; S.Plumley, J.Jarman, L.Martin. Subs: J.John, L.Cheeseman, M.Phillips.

Saturday 23rd April, Dorset Premier League: WESTLAND SPORTS 0 MERLEY COBHAM 3

A hard pitch and a strong crosswind made it a rather scrappy game at Alvington Lane. The visitors took control early on and Westlands were pinned in their own half. Cobham’s big centre half was proving a danger man at set pieces and from a corner in the 6th minute he hit the bar with a header then fired the rebound over the top. Having survived a few dodgy moments including a good save from keeper Mark Cuff, Westlands then should have opened the scoring with a quick break in the 16th minute. After a good move down the left a Dan Ewens cross set up Luca Martin 6 yards out but he put a tame shot straight into the keeper’s arms. Normal service was then resumed with Merley Cobham pushing forward and Westlands trying to hit them on the break. On the half hour mark Sports defenders got themselves in a tangle and presented the Cobham left winger with an open goal but he somehow managed to hit the bar with his shot. However the same player made amends five minutes later with the opening goal. A corner was not cleared and the ball fell to him about 12 yards out and he smashed it into the net. That was how the game stood at half time, 0-1.

Into the second half and the visitors were still looking comfortable and increased their lead in the 55th minute. Their #7 Edwards collected a pass on the edge of the box and screwed a low shot into the far corner of the net. That goal put Cobham in the comfort zone and Westlands struggled to make any impression. The best chance for the home side was when sub Jaime Jarman beat the Cobham keeper to a long through pass but his lob looked goal bound until a big bounce on the hard surface took it over the bar. With 5 minutes to go a blunder by a Westlands defender put a Cobham player through on goal and as Mark Cuff rushed out to make a challenge they both fell in a heap. Penalty said the referee and Cobham’s Groves tucked the spot kick in the corner. That was that really in a game where the visitors had looked fairly comfortable from the start against a Westlands side that looked a bit flat on the day.

Man of the match goes to MALIK KAMAL who got through a power of work in the middle of the park.

Sports line-up: M.Cuff; S.Plumley, J.Smeeton, T.Trevett, D.Ewens; J.Vine, A.Barratt, M.Kamal; O.Crisp, L.Martin, S.Fuller. Subs: J.Boon, J.Jarman, D.Chislett, J.Green, F.Chorley.

Wednesday 13th April, Dorset Premier League: DORCHESTER SPORTS 4  WESTLAND SPORTS 3

An away midweek fixture at 3rd in league Dorchester Sports on the 4G presented another tough task for Westlands but they rose to the challenge and were a bit unlucky not to get something out of this game.

The first half was fairly even, both teams creating promising moves but failing to make that final telling pass in the final third of the pitch. Sports young guns up front, Ollie Crisp, Luca Martin and Sam Fuller, supported by Malik Kamal and Duncan McCabe, were causing the home defence some problems with their quick raids and with the defence standing firm it was a decent performance from Westlands. Half-time 0-0.

Sports started the second half well with Ollie Crisp and Malik Kamal both putting shots just over the bar. However it all fell apart for Westands in the 50th minute. A shot by a Dorchester player came off the post and was crossed back into the danger area. In the melee that followed Sports keeper Mark Cuff made three great saves from point blank range. We thought we had weathered the storm but seconds later Mark Cuff appeared to fumble the ball and a Dorchester player robbed him and planted it in the empty net to open the scoring. Westlands were all over the place at this point and a couple of minutes later it was 2-0. Two Sports defenders went for the same ball. They both missed it and ended up sprawled on the deck and a Dorchester player was left clean through to score. What a disastrous couple of minutes that was for Westlands but in the 57th minute they managed to pull one back. SAM FULLER was pulled down in the box and he stepped up to drill the penalty into the net to make it 2-1. But Westlands conceded again within a minute. A good cross was whipped into the Sports box and the Dorchester left winger got in front of his marker to smash the ball in from point blank range. In eight crazy minutes we had gone from 0-0 to 3-1 down ! Again Westlands pulled themselves together and a good cross from Ollie Crisp was met by Dan Ewens at the far post but he put his shot wide of the near post. Then Malik Kamal had a good low shot that went just wide of the target. But in the 71st minute a Dorchester player delivered another good cross into the Sports box and the Dorchester left winger once again got in front of his marker to smash the ball in from close range. A bit of déjà vu there !

At 4-1 down and with less than 20 minutes left Westlands made three substitutions, Jaime Jarman replaced Luca Martin, Joe Boon replaced Duncan McCabe and finally Dan Chislett replaced Sam Plumley. The fresh legs seemed to do the trick and Westlands took control of the game. Jaime Jarman soon got involved with a good low shot that the Dorchester keeper did well to turn round the post. The pressure paid off in the 82nd minute when Ollie Crisp fired over a lovely cross and JAIME JARMAN leapt highest to power a header into the corner of the net to make it 4-2. A couple of minutes later a good header from Joe Boon went just wide as Westlands piled on the pressure. In the 86th minute JOE BOON scored again for Sports with a spectacular overhead kick from 17 yards out that went into the top corner of the net, 4-3 ! Dorchester were hanging on now with players going down with cramp all over the place but Westlands were unable to score that equalising goal that they deserved. Final score 4-3.

Sadly another defeat for Sports but a good performance particularly from some of the younger players on show. The man of the match goes to OLLIE CRISP who gave the Dorchester defence a hard time all night and delivered some excellent balls into the opposition box.

Sports line-up: M.Cuff; S.Plumley, S.Ormrod, P.Wells, D.Ewens; D.McCabe, A.Barratt, M.Kamal; O.Crisp, L.Martin, S.Fuller. Subs: J.Boon, J.Jarman, D.Chislett, L.Cheeseman.

Saturday 2nd April, Dorset Premier League: HOLT UTD 4  WESTLAND SPORTS 1

Westlands managed to get 13 players together for the trip to Holt, which is always a difficult fixture at the best of times, so the expectations weren't too high for this match. Holt are a much improved side this season having put their faith in young players, a policy that is payng off as their results show. Westlands on the other hand were relying on some older players to rally to the cause and help the club out.

Sports got off to the worst possible start, conceding a goal in the 5th minute. The ball was played in to Holt's centre forward who avoided a weak challenge and laid the ball off to his team-mate who had time to shoot into the bottom corner. A bit slack defensively by Westlands but having had to change the team around once again, not surprising really. Sports settled after this and although Holt had the majority of possession and created a couple of decent chances, they held firm and got through to half time only 1-0 down. Westlands only real effort of the half was a decent shot from Josh Payne that went narrowly over.

Sports made a change at the break with Joe Boon replacing Matt Mullings in the midfield.

Sports came out in the second half, and kicking up the slope, took control of the game, pinning Holt in their own half. We were making good progress down the wings but the final ball into the box wasn't quite good enough and, with our lack of height up front, Holt were able to deal with our crosses. However this was good pressure and if we could keep it up, perhaps we would find a way through. In the 70th minute a second sub for Westlands saw Jamie David replacing Mike Rousell. Then, in the 75th minute, after 30 minutes of almost constant Sports pressure, we conceded that important second goal. A free kick was pumped into the Westlands box from out on the right touchline. A Holt player got up and headed the ball goalwards where it came off the bar and was turned in at close range. Always annoying to lose a goal from a set piece . I think Mark Cuff may have touched the initial header onto the bar but it was the Holt players who reacted quickest to net the rebound. Sports just switched off then and a minute later a long punt downfield wasn't cleared by the Sports defence and a Holt player just ran through and lobbed the keeper to make it 3-1. Westlands then made their 3rd sub, Matt Phillips replacing Tim Trevett. Sports were struggling now and in the 82nd minute another free kick into the box was not dealt with and a Holt player headed it in at the far post. Our best moment of the game came two minutes from the end. Steve Ormrod beat a man inside his own half and played a great through ball upfield where JOSH PAYNE outsprinted two defenders and buried the ball in the bottom corner. Great stuff and at least we ended the game on a high note. Well done to all the lads who rallied round and to be fair they gave a good account of themselves until the last 15 minutes when we tired and lost 3 goals. The man of the match award goes to Malik Kamal who worked hard, winning lots of tackles and finding team-mates with good passes. Can't ask for much more than that.

Sports line-up: M.Cuff; S.Plumley, S.Ormrod, P.Wells, T.Trevett; A.Barratt, M.Mullings, M.Kamal; J.Payne, M.Rousell, L.Martin. Subs: M.Phillips, J.Boon, J.David.

Wednesday 23rd March, Dorset Premier League: SHERBORNE TOWN 1  WESTLAND SPORTS 0

The eagerly awaited local derby didn’t quite live up to the hype in terms of goals or quality but there was no lack of effort from both teams. As expected some heavy challenges were meted out which kept the referee busy but in the end it took a penalty kick to decide the outcome.

In front of a good crowd Westlands started well and it took a good save from the Sherborne keeper to stop a thumping shot from Luca Martin finding the top corner. Sports played a few balls over the top that got the home defence turning but they were unable to get a shot on target. Sam Fuller had a shooting chance but took an extra touch and was crowded out. Sherborne had a couple of corners midway through the half which were dangerous with their height advantage at set pieces but Westlands managed to keep them out. Half-time 0-0.

Sherborne started the second half well and put the Sports defence on the back foot in the opening few minutes. The pressure paid off in the 50th minute when a trip in the box gave the home side a penalty that was despatched nicely into the bottom corner. Westlands now had to chase the game and although pushing forward they were finding it hard now to break down the home side who seemed happy to sit on their lead. Steve Ormrod managed a header that came off the bar but that was as close as Westlands came. Josh Payne came on and looked a danger man but the service was to his feet with back to goal rather that ball in behind that we had employed in the first half. That was the scenario for the rest of the match, Westlands pushing forward but unable to break down a packed Sherborne defence. A worrying moment for Westlands came when skipper Adam Barratt was bundled off the pitch and appeared to collide with a member of the home team management in the dugout. Looked a nasty injury but hopefully it will not be as bad as we feared. Full time 1-0.

Man of the match was Tim Trevett who organised the Sports defence pretty well in the absence of the injured Jonny Manley.

Sports line up:- Cuff; Plumley, S.Ormrod, Trevett, Ewens; Kamal, Vine, Barratt; Martin, Morgan, Fuller.

Subs: Crisp, Payne, Phillips.

Saturday 19th March, Dorset Premier League: POOLEBOROUGH 2  WESTLAND SPORTS 0

Westlands woes continued on the road with a 2-0 defeat at lowly Poole Borough in the Dorset Premier League. With a strong wind blowing across the Moor and a hard bumpy pitch, neither team were able to string any passes together and a very poor game of football was the result. Sports introduced two youth team players, Aiden Vincent and Lewis Cheeseman, into the starting eleven along with Dan Chislett, Matt Phillips, Duncan McCabe and Jonny Manley, who was still injured but agreed to play to help the cause. Not much to comment on in the first half with only three chances created in 45 minutes. The first was in the 10th minute when Westlands keeper Mark Cuff fluffed a clearance from the edge of the box straight to a Poole player who immediately lobbed it over his head. Luckily Sam Plumley was covering round and he headed the ball off the line to safety.The next chance came to Westlands when Aiden Vincent outpaced two Poole defenders to a through ball but put his shot wide of the far post. Finally, just before half time a Poole player tried a spectacular overhead kick which wasn’t too far away, dropping just over the bar although I think Cuffy had it covered. Half time 0-0.

Westlands created another chance just after the break when Sam Fuller dragged his shot wide when put through by Duncan McCabe. I was betting on a 0-0 at this point but in the 65th minute we had a goal. The Poole centre forward tried a long shot which bounced off keeper Mark Cuff’s chest and was stuck away by the #10 who was following up. That was that really as Westlands couldn’t create anything and Poole, with renewed confidence, were chasing everything. In the 86th minute the little Poole #10 scored his second goal of the day when he eluded several weak challenges from Westland defenders, ran through and drilled the ball into the far corner. The final whistle was a welcome sound, full time 2-0.

In a generally poor display by Westlands the two youth lads can be pleased with their debuts but the man of the match was Steve Ormrod who never gives less than 100%.

Sports line up:- Cuff; Plumley, S.Ormrod, Manley, Cheeseman; McCabe, Phillips, Barratt; Chislett, Vincent, Fuller. Subs: Park

Saturday 5th March, Dorset Premier League: WESTLAND SPORTS 10 BLANDFORD UTD  2

An amazing game on Saturday when Westlands first team, having shipped ten goals last Saturday, turned things around by scoring ten themselves in a 10-2 defeat of Blandford Utd at Alvington ! The shock of last week’s defeat forced some changes with the new management team immediately strengthening the squad with the signing of Lewis Morgan from Sherborne Town. Sam Plumley, Mark Cuff and Jake Smeeton returned to the squad but Tim Trevett  and Jonny Manley remain injured.

However it was the visitors who shocked the home supporters by opening the scoring after only

4th minutes. Some sloppy play in the Westlands defence was punished by Blandford’s #10 who picked up the loose ball and ran through to drill a low shot into the net. A poor start by Westlands but they equalised only 2 minutes later when SAM FULLER raced on to a through ball, beat the keeper to the touch and side footed in from an acute angle. Westlands settled now and were picking holes in the Blandford defence with the front 3 of Luca Martin, Lewis Morgan and Sam Fuller causing problems. In the 23rd minute a mix up in the Blandford defence led to Sports taking the lead. The visitor’s keeper picked up a back pass on the edge of the box and conceded a free kick. Malik Kamal took a quick one, slipping the ball to LEWIS MORGAN whose shot went in off the post. Quick thinking there by the Westlands midfielder. Three minutes later it was 3-1 when Luca Martin got to the bye line and squared the ball to LEWIS MORGAN who had an easy side foot finish from close range. On the half hour Westlands made it 4-1 when Luca Martin again skipped by his marker, got to the bye line and crossed for SAM FULLER to power in a header. At this stage the Blandford defence just couldn’t stem the tide and in the 32nd minute it was 5-1 when LEWIS MORGAN controlled a long ball from Steve Ormrod, turned and thumped the ball into the net to complete his hat-trick. It was end to end stuff and a minute later Blandford hit back with a cracking goal. Their left winger controlled the ball 20 yards out and smashed a shot into the top corner that gave the keeper no chance. Encouraged by the goal the visitors pressed forward but Sports keeper Mark Cuff pulled off a great save to keep the score at 5-2. Back came Westlands in the 38th minute to increase the lead to four again at 6-2. A lovely through ball from Lewis Morgan picked out the run of MALIK KAMAL who controlled the ball and smashed it into the roof of the net. Another through ball just before half time split the Blandford defence again and Sports skipper ADAM BARRATT ran through to tuck the ball into the far corner. Half time 7-2 to Westlands.

Five minutes into the second half LUCA MARTIN made a great run into the Blandford half, played the ball out to Sam Fuller on the left and got on the end of the cross to make it 8-2. Two minutes later another through pass split the Blandford defence and was stroked in by LEWIS MORGAN for his fourth goal to make it 9-2. In a rare Blandford attack their centre forward beat a couple of defenders and went round the Westlands keeper only to have his shot cleared off the line.

After 55 minutes Westlands began to make changes. First Lewis Morgan, who had made a memorable debut with four goals, was replaced by Josh Payne and 5 minutes later Malik Kamal was replaced by Olly Crisp. In the 63rd minute Westlands JOSH PAYNE beat a man in the box and slotted the ball past the keeper for number ten. Westlands made their final substitution then with Dan Chislett replacing Sam Plumley. The game was petering out now but in the 75 minute Blandford’s #17 was given a red card for violent conduct. Only a minute later things went from bad to worse for Blandford as they were reduced to nine men. This time it was their #2 and captain who was given a straight red for a dangerous tackle. Down to 9 men with 14 minutes still to play things looked ominous for Blandford but all nine players dropped back into defence and they defended well. It was attack against defence now and although Westlands created a few chances they were unable to add to their lead. Sports nearest effort came when a shot from Sam Fuller came off the crossbar and Olly Crisp headed the rebound over. Credit then to the nine Blandford players who managed to battle through to the end without conceding another goal.

For Westlands the team had played very well and it was a relief to get back to winning ways, hopefully we can continue in this vein for the rest of the season.

All the Westlands players can be pleased with their performances so difficult to pick a man of the match but it goes to Luca Martin who looked very sharp.

Sports line up:- Cuff; Plumley, S.Ormrod, Smeeton, Ewens; Green, Kamal, Barratt; Martin, Morgan, Fuller.

Subs: Payne, Crisp, Chislett.

Saturday 26th February, Dorset Premier League: BOURNEMOUTH SPORTS 10 WESTLAND SPORTS 0

Sports first team slumped to the club's worst defeat in living memory with a 10-0 drubbing away to Bournrmouth Sports. OK, Westlands were understrength and Bournemouth are a good side but the way the team capitulated in the second half was not acceptable with some players just giving up. I won't go into the detail of all the goals, it's just too painful an experience to re-live, but most were due to sloppy individual errors, a lack of basic tactical awareness and a lack of fight and desire from some players. First half we gifted Bournemouth an early goal in 8 minutes and another in 13 minutes. A bit of a rally then saw us force a couple of corners and put together a few attacks. Unfortunately another blunder just before half time gave them a crucial third goal which knocked the stuffing out the team a bit. So, 3-0 down at half time and with the home side full of confidence it was really a case of playing for pride in the second half and making sure we didn't get embarrassed. Perhaps a change to the line-up to bolster the defence was needed but unfortunately we hadn't learned any lessons and went out and conceded another soft goal straight away with the Bournemouth #9 running right right through our defence and lobbing the keeper. Heads went right down now and another goal 2 minutes later made it 5-0. Further goals followed in the 55th, 57th,70th 72nd & 81st minutes to make it a humiliating 10-0 at the end. At one stage in the second half we changed from a back 4 to a back 3 and pushed the full backs upfield ???  All in all a complete disaster for all concerned but it was the lack of fight from some of the players that really hurt.

Finally, there is just no possibility of naming a man of the match this week so we will pass on that.

Line-up:- Male: Park, Chorley, Green, Ewens: Chislett, Barratt, Fuller: Cauldwell, S.Ormrod, Martin.

Sub: Howchin, Kamal

Saturday 19th February, Dorset Premier League: WESTLAND SPORTS 0  STURMINSTER NEWTON 3

Wiith the gale force winds and rain from storm Eunice wreaking havic with the Alvington dugouts and pitchside advertising boards it took a bit of an effort on saturday morning to repair the damage and get the game on. Unfortunately the team were unable to reward the volunteers with a victory as we went down 3-0 to Sturminster Newton in the DPL. Another heavy downpour at lunch time put the game in further jeopardy but some forking and sanding made the pitch playable. As usual 5 changes for Westlands with new goalkeeper Owen Male, Steve Ormrod, Jamie Green, Luca Martin and Josh Payne all coming into the starting line up. Westlands opened up quite brightly with some good work from Sam Fuller creating openings. In the 5th minute a crossfield pass gave Dan Ewens a chance on the edge of the box but his shot went well over the bar. As the visitors began to grow into the game Sports new keeper Owen Male was called into action with a couple of good saves as the game swung from end to end. In the 26th minute a Westlands corner from the right was not cleared and fell to Freddy Chorley 15 yards out but he blasted the chance over the top (shots flying over the bar has been a feature of Sports play this season ! ).The first goal came in the 35th minute from a quick Sturminster attack. a deep cross from the right found Stur skipper and prolific scorer Nick Thomson all on his own and he powered a header into the back of the net. Westlands responded with some pressure and a free kick into the box gave Sports a strong penalty shout. As the ball came in Steve Ormrod went for a header but was flattened by the Stur keeper who didn't get a touch on the ball, the ref's decision of a goal kick confirming this. In the last few minutes of the half Sturminster enjoyed some good possession and finished the half looking fairly comfortable. Half time 0-1.

Conditions were getting really difficult on a deteriorating surface so it was no surprise that the pace dropped a bit in the second half. The next goal was crucual and in the 53rd minute Sturminster made it 2-0. The ball was played across the edge of the Westlands box from the right and the centre forward had time to control the ball and thump a shot into the back of the net. A big blow for Westlands to lose the second goal but some slack marking at the back had again been punished by some clinical finishing. Stur were in control now and increased their lead in the 73rd minute. Westlands looked a bit heavy legged as the Stur skipper once again found himself in a bit of space and once again we were made to pay with a crisp finish. Westlands tried hard to get a consolation goal, both subs were brought on and Steve Ormrod pushed up front, but were unable to break through a well organised defence who were determined to keep their clean sheet. Final score 0-3.

Considering the conditions it was a good game and although  lots of tough challenges flew in, there was no silliness from the players and the referee didn't need to reach for his cards once in the whole 90 minutes which is a nice change !

Westlands captain Adam Barratt led by example, battling to the end and he gets a deserved man of the match award for this week.

Line-up:- Male: Howchin, Chorley, S.Ormrod, Ewens: Green, Barratt, Fuller: Crisp, Payne, Martin.

Sub: Cauldwell, Park.

Saturday 12th February, Dorset Premier League: WESTLAND SPORTS 2  SHAFTESBURY RES 2

Sports drew 2-2 with Shaftesbury Reserves at Alvington on saturday in a DPL match that took a dramatic late twist. With 89 minutes on the clock and Westlands leading 2-0 a home win was on the cards but amazingly Shaftesbury scored two late goals to take a share of the points.

Sports welcomed Freddy Chorley back after a long absence through injury and a couple of lads from the reserves, Sam Fuller and Jack Vine, were drafted into the midfield.

A strong wind didn't help the flow of passing football but both teams did pretty well in the conditions and it was quite an even game early on. The opening goal came in the 28th minute and it was Westlands who grabbed it. Sam Fuller made a good run into the Shaftesbury box and, as he turned inside a defender, he was brought down for a penalty. SAM FULLER himself stepped up and thumped the ball into the net to make it 1-0 to Westlands. Shaftesbury then had a couple of chances with high balls into the box but the wind was taking them away from the waiting strikers. Westlands were trying to keep the ball on the deck and were putting together some decent passing moves. Their pressure paid off in the 36th minute when the Shaftesbury keeper could only parry a shot and SAM FULLER was on the spot to bang in the rebound.

That made it 2-0 and it stayed that way until half time with both teams struggling to create any clear chances.

The second half settled into a pattern of Westlands probing for another goal and Shaftesbury having a few attacks on the break. Sports had a couple of good chances to score with players through on goal but failed to cash in. In all honesty as we neared the end it looked as if the visitors had given up and the points were in the bag for Westlands. How wrong that assumption proved to be as in the 90th minute a long ball put the Shaftesbury #11 in behind the Westlands defence and he slotted the ball into the far corner to make it 2-1.

A consolation goal we thought but as the additional minutes ticked on the away team now had some belief they could salvage something from the game so they pushed men forward. In the 95th minute the Shaftesbury centre half found himself unmarked 12 yards from the Westlands goal with the ball at his feet. He hit a shot goalwards which wasn't struck that cleanly but it found its way into the far corner for the equaliser. Great celebrations by the Shaftesbury players and why not as they had salvaged a point from a game that had looked lost. Very disappointing from a Westlands viewpoint with poor decisions being made in those final moments. When we conceded in the 90th minute we should surely have just got men behind the ball to play out those final minutes. Instead we were were caught with 3 men up front and 3 midfielders pushing up at the time when Shaftesbury were pushing men forward and we were made to pay.

So, in a frustrating afternoon for Westlands it's Sam Fuller who gets man of the match for an impressive performance capped with two goals.

Line-up:- Cuff: Howchin, Chorley, Chislett, Ewens: Vine, Barratt, Fuller: Crisp, Woollard, Cauldwell.

Sub: Mullings, Martin, McCabe, Park.

Saturday 5th February, Dorset Premier League: BLANDFORD UTD 3  WESTLAND SPORTS 1

Westlands poor record of only one win in 2022 continued on saturday with a 3-1 defeat at Blandford. Sports had five changes from last week, so it was a depleted 12 man squad that rocked up at Park Rd. To be fair to the lads who played, possession wise they dominated the ball but couldn’t find a way to break down a solid Blandford defence. The home team got plenty men behind the ball and, although Sports were dominating, when they got to 20 yards out the final ball was lacking. Blandford, when they won the ball got it forward quickly to their centre forward who worryingly was finding big gaps in the Westland defence. Luckily his shooting was a bit wayward early on and a couple of efforts ended in the trees behind the goal. However in the 22nd minute a free kick into the Westlands box was headed goalwards but kicked up and came off keeper Mark Cuff’s chest and fell to the Blandford #9 who belted it in. Malik Kamal then had the ball in the net for Westlands but had fouled the keeper first. Surprisingly, after only half an hour, Westlands had a bit of a team re-shuffle with Steve Ormrod going up front, Malik dropping into midfield and Dan Chislett going back into centre half. I thought Malik had been doing a good job of holding the ball up but we know Steve Ormrod can grab goals so hopefully the move would pay off. For the rest of the half Sports huffed and puffed, knocking the ball around but failing to make their possession count. Blandford, with fewer attacks, looked more dangerous as Sports continued to leave the their #9 unmarked.

A free kick from the home side missed narrowly just before the break so we turned round at 1-0.

Westlands looked more determined in the second half and with full backs Lewis Howchin and Dan Ewens pushing down the flanks began to get some dangerous crosses into the box. In the 70th minute Ollie Crisp was replaced by Matt Mullings as Westlands looked to add a little more bite in midfield. Unfortunately, with the full backs pushed up Westlands were even more vulnerable at the back and several breaks by the Blandford attackers caused some concern. In the 75th minute came the crucial 2nd goal for Blandford when a long ball put their unmarked attacker clean through on goal and he made no mistake, drilling the ball into the net. Five minutes later however it was game on as Westlands scored. From a throw in out on the left the ball was crossed into the middle and  MALIK KAMAL drilled it under the keeper to make it 2-1. Westlands were looking for the equaliser now but in the 85th minute we shot ourselves in the foot when a poor pass back was well short of keeper Mark Cuff and the Blandford #9 slotted in from an acute angle. That was that and the game finished with a 3-1 victory to the home side.

A much changed line up didn’t help Sports cause and although having lots of possession the rather slow build up gave the opposing defence time to regroup and get numbers back. Blandford were much more effective, getting the ball quickly up to their front runners who always had the Westlands defence struggling.

Man of the match is Malik Kamal whose goal gave us the best moment of the afternoon and who played well both up front and in midfield.

Line-up:- Cuff: Howchin, S.Ormrod, Trevett, Ewens: Chislett, Barratt, Crisp: Martin, Kamal, Cauldwell.

Sub: Mullings.

Saturday 29th January, Dorset Premier League:  WESTLAND SPORTS 2  HAMWORTHY RECREATION 5

This promised to be an exciting game with the visit of league leaders Hamworthy Recreation to Alvington and for the first 15 minutes or so was nicely poised. The visitors were dominating possession but Westlands created the best chance so far when Phil Ormrod headed a Dan Ewens cross just over the bar. Then after 15 minutes came a controversial decision when Westlands Jamie Green was shown a straight red card for suggesting the referee should be wearing a green jersey ! Definitely a bit harsh for a heat of the moment comment and it really ended the game as a contest. In the 20th minute Hamworthy took the lead when their forward cut inside and drilled a low shot into the net. Westlands tried to rally and Phil Ormrod shot over the top after a good break. Hamworthy were now well on top though and on 30 minutes it was 2-0. A corner kick was fired over and Sports Duncan McCabe headed the ball into his own net. Things were looking really ominous for Westlands now but they battled on and managed to keep the score at two with keeper Mark Cuff pulling off a couple of good saves. Until the 44th minute that was, when Hamworthy flooded the box with players and eventually their #27 thumped the ball in. That made the half time score 3-0 to the league leaders and realistically game over. Several people left the ground at half time grumbling that they had paid to watch a competitive match and it had been ruined after 15 minutes.

Westlands made a substitution at half time with Sam Plumley being replaced by Dan Chislett in a back three. This seemed to work well with an extra man in midfield and Westlands started the second half on top. Fin Cauldwell  played in Phil Ormrod who unfortunately blasted over the top from close range. Then Tim Trevett headed a free kick just the wrong side of the post into the side net. Hamworthy didn’t need to push themselves too hard so the game became a bit of a stalemate. Just after the hour mark Westlands made 2 more substitutions, Luca Martin and Olly Crisp coming on in place of Ben Pounder and Fin Cauldwell. In the 74th minute Ollie Crisp tried to beat a man 20 yards out but gave the ball away. The ball was quickly passed  to Hamworthy's #27 who thumped it in to make the score 4-0. Five minutes later it was 5-0 and again it was a soft goal to concede. Hamworthy took a short corner out on the right and their player  was allowed to run in and smash the ball through a crowd of players into the net. With the game won Hamworthy then took their eye off the ball and Westlands were able to put a bit of respectability on the score line with two late goals. First in the 85th minute a deep cross to the far post by Dan Ewens was side footed in by LUCA MARTIN and then in the 88th minute STEVE ORMROD came up for a corner and bulleted a diving header into the net to make the final score 5-2. A difficult day for the Westlands players and the early red card certainly deflated the team a bit. However they showed good fighting spirit in the second half and although conceding two soft goals managed to draw the half 2-2.

The man of the match award goes to Phil Ormrod.  Although he may have had a hat-trick if he had his shooting boots on today he was still our most dangerous attacker and his good movement got him in the position to potentially score.

Line-up: Cuff: Plumley, S.Ormrod, Trevett, Ewens: Barratt, McCabe, Green: Pounder, P.Ormrod, Cauldwell.

Subs: Crisp, Park, Howchin, Chislett, Martin.

Saturday 22nd January, Dorset Premier League:  WESTLAND SPORTS 5 CORFE CASTLE 1

Westlands got their first win of the new year with a victory over Corfe Castle at Alvington but it was not all plain sailing. With Jonny Manley and Freddy Chorley long term injury victims we were a bit short of central defenders so Dan Chislett and Steve Ormrod were given the nod this week.

In the first half Corfe didn’t look like a team languishing at the foot of the table as they passed the ball around neatly in contrast to Westlands who continually gave the ball away. It was Mark Cuff, the Westlands goalie who was the busier keeper and he made several good saves to keep the visitors at bay. In the 38th minute though he was beaten when a Corfe player glanced a neat header into the far corner to put the visitors in front. Sports couldn't really create any clear cut chances so 1-0 was the half time score with Westlands dismal start to 2022 seemingly continuing.

The second half however saw a massive turn around as Sports upped the pace and began to pass the ball around with some purpose. The first substitution came in the 52nd minute with Olly Crisp replacing Lewis Howchin . A minute later a Steve Ormrod header from a set piece was cleared off the line and Duncan McCabe hit the post with the rebound. Westlands second substitution then saw Jamie Green come on replacing Malik Kamal in the midfield. This proved to be a key moment as it allowed Duncan McCabe to push further forward. In the 61st minute a lovely passing move between Phil Ormrod and Adam Barratt opened up the Corfe defence and Duncan McCabe's final shot came off the post. The rebound fell to Dan Ewens who drove into the box and was tripped for a penalty. PHIL ORMROD blasted the spot kick into the net to level the score at 1-1. Sports really had their tails up now and two minutes later a Duncan McCabe corner from the right was headed into the roof of the net by PHIL ORMROD to put Westlands in front. Corfe were treading water now and in the 70th minute a goalmouth scramble saw STEVE ORMROD bundle the ball in to make it 3-1. Sports final substitution was made in the 75th minute, Pete Park replacing Sam Plumley. The one way traffic continued and when Finlay Cauldwell slipped in DUNCAN McCABE in the 82nd minute he ran through and drilled the ball into the far corner for the fourth goal. And finally in the 87th minute an identical move saw Phil Ormrod put DUNCAN McCABE through and he again coolly finished in the far corner. That completed the scoring with a convincing 5-1 win for Westlands although they had made heavy weather of the first half.

The man of the match goes to Duncan McCabe for a superb second half with two outstanding goals to his credit.

Line-up: Cuff: Plumley, S.Ormrod, Chislett, Howchin: Barratt, McCabe, Kamal: Cauldwell, P.Ormrod, Ewens.

Subs: Crisp, Park, Green.

Saturday 15th January, Dorset Premier League: PORTLAND RESERVES 6 WESTLAND SPORTS 2

A dire performance from Westlands saw them thumped 6-2 away to Portland Reserves. Sports looked lacklustre and the home team soon smelt blood, scoring the opener with a free header from a corner in the 8th minute. Four minutes later it was 2-0. Westlands keeper Liam Samways rushed out to clear a through ball but his attempted clearance was blocked by a Portland forward who ran through to score in an empty net. Westlands tried to rally with a Duncan McCabe free kick well saved by the home keeper and then Steve Ormrod skied a shot from 8 yards over the bar. But any hopes of a fightback were quashed in the 27th minute when Sports gave the ball away in their own half and the Portland #9 ran into the box unchallenged and drilled a low shot into the far corner, 3-0. Sports central defender Jonny Manley then retired holding his back and he was replaced by Tim Trevett. Just before half time the home side made it 4-0 with a header at the far post after a soft free kick had been conceded. Half-time 4-0.

What a first half that had been, a Westlands team, lacking any energy and drive, had been taken to the cleaners and it looked like a big improvement would be needed in the second half just to stop this being a total embarrassment. 

Westlands did up their game in the second half and at last put the home side under a bit of pressure. This paid off in the 54th minute when a driven corner from Duncan McCabe was headed into his own net by a Portland defender for an OG. But Sports again shot themselves in the foot in the 65th minute, conceding a penalty for a tackle just inside the box. It was a bit soft but the Westlands players protests were met with a flurry of 3 (I think) yellow cards by the referee. I assumed these were sin bins for dissent, but apparently not as the players stayed on the pitch. The spot kick was thumped in to make the score 5-1. Two substitutions now for Westlands, Lewis Howchin and Malik Kamal replaced by Ben Pounder and Dan Ewens. In the 75th minute Sports generosity continued when the ball was presented to a Portland player who ran on to score with a low drive to make it 6. In the 80th minute the best moment of the match for Westlands came when a through pass put STEVE ORMROD in the clear and he drilled the ball into the net to make the final score 6-2.  MoM is a difficult one but goes to Finlay Cauldwell who plugged away down the left with a few good runs and crosses.

Line-up: Samways: Plumley, Manley, J.Green, Howchin: Barratt, McCabe, Kamal: Martin, S.Ormrod, Cauldwell.

Subs: Pounder, Park, Ewens.

Monday 3rd January, Dorset Premier League: BRIDPORT RESERVES 3 WESTLAND SPORTS 3

Westlands kicked off the new year in diappointing fashion when they drew 3-3 away to Bridport Reserves yesterday. A patched up Sports team saw themselves 2-0 down after 30 minutes but a blistering 20 yarder from sub DAN CHISLETT made it 2-1 at half time. A goal on the hour from Bridport restored their two goal lead at 3-1 giving Sports a big challenge in the final 30 minutes. STEVE ORMROD stepped forward to head in an Adam Barratt cross to make it 3-2. Steve had another effort saved on the line and a Fin Cauldwell shot looked goalbound before being saved as Sports pressed hard. Eventually STEVE ORMROD made it 3-3 when he stabbed the ball home following a corner. Westlands had 3 big penalty shouts turned down by the officials in the second half but just couldn't find a winner.

Man of the match goes to two goal STEVE ORMROD, what a heart this lad has, never gives up.

Line-up: Cuff: Plumley, Wells, S.Ormrod, Howchin: Barratt, Payne, Green: Martin, Cauldwell, Darby.

Subs: Mullings, Chislett.

Saturday 11th December, Dorset Premier League: HAMWORTHY REC 4  WESTLAND SPORTS 2

A disappointing defeat on saturday saw Sports slip to 5th place in the Dorset Premier league. Team selection saw Ben Cochrane step out of retirement to play in goal, Steve Ormrod returned to the defence allowing Jamie Green play in midfield and on the flanks Josh Payne returned and Jordan Butler made his first appearance.

The home team started at a fast pace and they missed two early chances to go in front as Westlands struggled to get a foothold in the game. With Sports on the defensive Steve Ormrod dived into a tackle in the 8th minute and picked up a yellow card. He was now walking a bit of a tightrope for the remaining 82 minutes as he likes to put in a tackle ! In the 27th minute Hamworthy took the lead when a dodgy back pass left their player clear to thump in. Sports response was quick with an equaliser 3 minutes later. A Duncan McCabe free kick was flicked on to STEVE ORMROD who netted from close range. Back came Rec to take the lead again in the 38th minute with a through ball that put their player clean through and he scored with a low shot. A big shout by Westlands for offside was ignored by the officials. Only three minutes later Rec stretched their lead to 2 with a similar goal. A through ball put their player in the clear but this time he squared the ball to a team-mate who had a tap in at the far post. Again a huge appeal by Westlands for offside was ignored. Half-time 3-1 down.

The second half saw Westlands up their game and gradually get a grip of midfield. In the 65th minute PHIL ORMROD raced through and buried the ball in the far corner with a low left foot drive. Game on now at 3-2 and Westlands kept pressing forcing several corners but disaster struck in the 75th minute when Steve Ormrod needlessly tugged an opponents shirt and received his second yellow card resulting of course in a red. With nothing to lose Sports continued with 3 at the back but were caught on the break in the 83rd minute when the Rec #9 ran through to score the crucial 4th goal. That was that and the match finished 4-2.

MoM is Ben Cochrane who didn’t hesitate to step in and help the team out of a goalkeeping problem. Couldn’t be blamed for any of the goals and made a couple of good saves.

Line-up: Cochrane: Plumley, Manley, S.Ormrod, Ewens: Barratt, McCabe, Green: Payne, P.Ormrod, Butler.

Subs: Crisp, Chislett.

Saturday 4th December, Dorset Premier League: BALTI SPORTS 2  WESTLAND SPORTS 6

 A fine win on saturday for the first team despite ongoing selection problems. A shortage of defenders for this match saw Jamie Green drop back to centre half and in the midfield, Adam Barratt, Luca Martin and Olly Crisp all returned to the starting line up.

On a cold but dry day, Sports made the perfect start, scoring in the first minute. Duncan McCabe played a defence splitting pass down the left to Fin Cauldwell who’s early cross deceived the Balti keeper, the ball hitting the crossbar and falling to the unmarked LUCA MARTIN at the far post who had an easy side foot finish. A great start for Westlands but it didn’t take long for Balti to equalise. In the sixth minute a free kick conceded by Westlands in their own half dropped a bit short just inside the penalty area. A poor header that failed to clear the ball then caused mayhem in the Westlands box before being finally thumped into the net by a Balti forward. It was breath taking stuff as Sports took the lead again in the 10th minute !

A nice through pass was taken in his stride by PHIL ORMROD who ran on to slot the ball under the keeper to make it 2-1. Westlands were causing the home side problems with some neat passing football and in the 36th minute extended their lead. The Balti defence tried to pass the ball around on the edge of their own box and made a complete mess of it. PHIL ORMROD intercepted a pass across the face of the goal and thumped the ball into the back of the empty net to make it 3-1. Then in the 45th minute a final twist of the knife by Westlands as they scored again ! Phil Ormrod raced through to the bye line and cut the ball across the face of goal where FIN CAULDWELL bundled it in at the far post. Great half by Westlands, 4-1 up at the interval.

In the second half Westlands were again the dominant side with Duncan McCabe pulling the strings in midfield and it looked as if more goals would come. In the 65th minute a neat exchange of passes saw Phil Ormrod put FIN CAULDWELL away down the left. Fin cut in and, as the keeper came out, dinked the ball over him into the far corner of the net to make it 5-1. The final goal for Westlands came in the 82nd minute, Duncan McCabe headed a cross down to PHIL ORMROD who turned his man and thumped the ball into the back of the net. Then in the dying seconds of the game Balti scored a second consolation goal when some slack marking gave their #11 space on the edge of the box and he drilled a fine shot low into the corner of the net. Final score 6-2. MoM is hat-trick man Phil Ormrod who gave the Balti defence a torrid time.

Line-up: Cuff: Plumley, Manley, Green, Ewens: Barratt, McCabe, Crisp: Martin, P.Ormrod, Cauldwell.

Subs: Payne, Park, Howchin.

Saturday 27th November, Dorset Premier League: WESTLAND SPORTS 2 HOLT UTD 2

It was 2 points lost for Westlands yesterday as they drew 2-2 with Holt Utd in the Dorset Premier League. Gale force winds meant a switch to pitch 1 at Alvington as the new dugouts on pitch 3 were not fully secured yet. Teamwise, missing from last week were Sam Stroud, Tim Trevett, Adam Barratt, Malik Kamal and Luca Martin, they were replaced by Mark Cuff, Phil Ormrod, Jake Smeeton, Fin Cauldwell and Jonny Manley.

Westlands pressed forward in the early minutes with a Jake Smeeton shot crashing off the post in the 13th minute. Then Phil Ormrod had a chance when through on goal but put it past the far post. Holt looked dangerous on the break however and in the 20th minute took the lead. A handball in the box resulted in a penalty kick which was tucked away by their #10 to put Holt 1-0 up. Westlands responded well however and three minutes later equalised when a Josh Payne cross was smashed in by DAN EWENS at the far post. The home side had several good chances to go in front which were missed before eventually, in the 42nd minute, PHIL ORMROD, who had been giving the Holt defence a hard time, ran through to score giving Westlands a 2-1 lead at half time.

Holt upped their game after the break and equalised in the 56th minute when their #6 thumped in a free kick from 30 yards out that sailed into the top corner. Holt had a good spell then with Sports a bit off the pace but in the 85th minute Westlands had a golden chance to wrap up the points when they were awarded a penalty. Skipper Jamie Green stepped up and smashed the ball way over the bar and over the perimeter fence out of the ground. Westlands desperately tried for the winning goal in the dying minutes forcing a couple of corners but Holt held out for a share of the points.

MoM is Steve Ormrod who had a real solid game at the back.

Line-up: Cuff: Plumley, Manley, S.Ormrod, Howchin: Barratt, McCabe, Smeeton: Payne, P.Ormrod, Ewens. Subs: Cauldwell, Chorley, Park.

Saturday 20th November, Dorset Premier League: HAMWORTHY REC 5  WESTLAND SPORTS 1

Sports were dumped out of the DPL Cup on saturday with a heavy defeat away to Hamworthy Recreation. Westlands were on the back foot from the start and if it hadn't been for the heroics of goalkeeper Sam Stroud we could have been a couple of goals down in the first 15 minutes. It was a welcome surprise then when Sports took the lead after 20 minutes in our first real attack of the game. We forced a corner out on the left and when the ball came over MALIK KAMAL rose at the front post to glance a perfect header into the far corner. It was backs to the wall for Westlands for the rest of the half but some solid defending and some poor finishing by Hamworthy saw us go in at the interval 1-0 up. A blow for Sports happened just before the break with skipper Adam Barratt hobbling off with a hamstring injury, being replaced by Luca Martin. We knew Hamworthy would come out fighting so hopefully Westlands could keep it tight defensively and frustrate the home team. However the worst possible start to the half followed as Rec equalised after one minute's play. We gave the ball away in our own half and were punished, 1-1. Sports replied with a Luca Martin header that bounced over off the top of the crossbar but in the 50th minute the home team went in front after an attempt to pass the ball around on the edge of our own box ended in disaster, 2-1 Rec. Four minutes later a soft free kick on the edge of the box was dispatched into the far corner to make it 3-1. Sports were reeling now with huge gaps appearing in the middle of the park which Hamworthy were quick to exploit. In the 60th minute their #5 ran about 30 yards with the ball and set up his team-mate who made it 4-1. Three minutes later, with Sports all at sea they made it 5-1. With about 25 minutes left it was a bit concerning but Sports managed to regroup a bit and there were no more goals.

MoM is Malik Kamal who's goal was the only bright moment of the afternoon.

Line-up: Stroud: Plumley, Trevett, Chorley, Howchin: Barratt, McCabe, Kamal: Payne, Ormrod, Ewens. Subs: Martin, Park.

Saturday 13th November, Dorset Premier League: CORFE CASTLE 1  WESTLAND SPORTS 6

Another high scoring week for Westlands in the Dorset Premier League with a 6-1 win at Corfe Castle. Liam Samways was a surprise selection in goal for Westlands, and there were starting places for Sam Plumley, Freddy Chorley, Olly Crisp and Tim Trevett. Sports were passing the ball around quite nicely and the opening goal came after only 15 minutes when TIM TREVETT came up from the back and headed in a Duncan McCabe free kick. In the 22nd minute it was 2-0 after a mighty scramble in the Corfe box. Several shots were blocked before SAM PLUMLEY finally thumped the ball into the net through the crowd of players. Corfe's best moments came when they pumped long balls forward which were causing the Sports defence a few problems. So much so that the Westlands defence changed from a back 3 to a more familiar back 4 after about half an hour. The game developed into a bit of a stalemate for the rest of the half which ended 2-0 to the visitors.

The second half was only 5 minutes old when Westlands grabbed the crucial 3rd goal and a tremendous solo effort it was. ADAM BARRETT chased down a Corfe back pass, robbed the keeper of the ball and smashed it into the empty net. A great example set by the team captain and his team-mates responded well. Two minutes later, DUNCAN McCABE just got his foot to a bouncing cross and lobbed the advancing keeper to put Sports in an almost unassailable 4-0 lead. After another 2 minutes it was 5-0. After a slick passing move, FIN CAULDWELL cut in from the left and from 18 yards drilled a low shot into the far corner of the net. A three goal blitz in 5 minutes by Westlands had now put the game out of sight at 5-0. In the 80th minute the referee spotted a shirt tug in the box and STEVE ORMROD belted in the penalty kick to make it 6-0. At this point we were hoping Liam Samways would get his clean sheet as he had made a couple of good saves, but it was not to be. In the 80th minute a bit of a misunderstanding between a Westlands defender and the keeper was punished with a looping header that finished in the back of te net. That made the final score 6-1 and a good win for Sports. MoM is Duncan McCabe who ruled the midfield all afternoon.

Line-up: Samways: Green, Trevett, Chorley: Plumley, Barratt, McCabe, Crisp, Howchin: Ormrod, Cauldwell. Subs: Payne, Woollard, Park.

Saturday 6th November, Dorset Premier League: WESTLAND SPORTS 8  PORTLAND UTD RES 0

The goals were flying in as Westlands put Portland Utd Reserves to the sword with an 8-0 victory at Alvington. This week’s roll call saw the return of Mark Cuff, Jonny Manley, Duncan McCabe and Fin Cauldwell to the starting eleven. We also had a strong bench with Luca Martin, Malik Kamal, Olly Crisp and Freddy Chorley. A bitter north west wind kept the spectators down to a few hardy regulars who observed a minutes silence of remembrance with the players before the match. The Portland team looked a young side and they were hit by a whirlwind start by Sports for the second week in a row.

After only 3 minutes some good interplay down the left saw a DAN EWENS cross dip into the far top corner of the Portland net to give Westlands an early lead. Still Westlands pressed forward and in 6 minutes it was 2-0 when JOSH PAYNE pulled down a Duncan McCabe cross and thumped it into the net. The Portland team were stunned and things got even worse for the visitors in the 9th minute when JAMIE GREEN finished off a good passing move with a low shot from Fin Cauldwell’s cut back.

A clinical start by Westlands but Portland managed to stem the tide and for the rest of the half held their own and managed a few attacking moves without really troubling Mark Cuff in the Westland’s goal.

Half time 3-0 to Westlands and things looking grim for Portland.

The second half was dominated by Westlands from the start and it wasn’t long before Josh Payne romped through the Portland defence to set up NIALL WOOLLARD for a dinked finish to make it 4-0 in 55 minutes.

Niall was then subbed, being replaced by Luca Martin. On the hour mark Westlands were awarded a penalty for a push in the box. The Portland keeper dived to save, only for JAMIE GREEN, who missed the spot kick, to hook in the rebound for the fifth goal.

Three minutes later a good run by Josh Payne down the right set up JAMIE GREEN to slot in number six and in the 66th minute FIN CAULDWELL cut inside from the left and drilled in number seven from the edge of the box. Malik Kamal then replaced Duncan McCabe for Westlands.The final goal came in the 73rd minute with Malik Kamal cutting the ball back to JOSH PAYNE who scored number 8 with a neat chip. Sports final sub was then made with Olly Crisp replacing Josh Payne. The final 15 minutes remained goal-less although Portland just missed out on a consolation goal when a shot came off the post. Westlands had numerous opportunities to increase their lead but missed several sitters so the final whistle called it a day at 8-0.

Some good play all round by Westlands but the MoM goes to Josh Payne who was in good form with two goals and two assists.Line-up: Cuff: Howchin, Ormrod, Manley, Ewens: Green, Barratt, McCabe: Payne, Woollard, Cauldwell. Subs: Martin, Kamal, Crisp, Chorley.

Saturday 30th October, Dorset Premier League: SHAFTESBURY RES 1  WESTLAND SPORTS 3

Sports were 3-1 winners away to Shaftesbury Reserves today despite late call-offs leaving us with only 12 men. Called into the starting eleven were Freddy Chorley, Olly Crisp, Dan Ewens and Niall Woollard who had been out injured since the Sturminster Newton game in mid-august. On the carpet 4g surface Sports started well and soon had the home side on the defensive. In the 5th minute Dan Ewens  swung in a cross, a shaftesbury defender and their keeper both managed to miss the ball and NIALL WOOLLARD pounced to walk the ball into the empty net. Nice start for Sports but better was to come a minute later when NIALL WOOLLARD headed in a Josh Payne cross to make it 2-0. Westlands continued to have the upper hand until just before half time when our defence was caught a bit square and a Shaftesbury player ran through to score. Annoying to lose a goal just before the break but 2-1 at half time was a decent result away from home. The second half only 10 minutes old when Westlands extended their lead to two goals again. Adam Barratt put a free kick into the box and NIALL WOOLLARD placed a thumping header into the net. Westlands were in control now and although forcing numerous corners couldn't add to the score. MoM has to be Niall Woollard for his excellent hat-trick, what a return to the team !Line-up: Stroud: Plumley, Ormrod, Chorley, Howchin: Green, Barratt, Crisp: Payne, Woollard, Ewens.

Sub: Mullings

Saturday 6th November, Dorset Premier League:  WAREHAM RANGERS 1  WESTLAND SPORTS 3

Westlands made it three wins on the bounce with a 3-1 victory over Wareham Rangers. There were 6 changes from last saturday with Sam Stroud, Jon Manley, Tim Trevett, Jamie Green, Matt Mullings and Luca Martin all in the starting line up this week. The pitch was in poor shape, bumpy, long grass and barely visible lines so a bit of a leveller. Sports however showed sensible tactics from the start, getting the ball forward early to utilise the pace of our front three. This was a real threat to the home side and only some excellent goalkeeping by the Wareham number one kept Sports from scoring. Josh Payne, aided by Sam Plumley, was having a field day down the right side and it looked like a goal was going to come. In the 35th minute it did, but unfortunately it was Wareham who took the lead when their left winger cut inside and with his right foot curled a beauty into the far to corner giving Sam Stroud no chance. A bit of a shock to the Westlands contingent but nerves were calmed with an equaliser in the 41st minute. ADAM BARRATT hit a low shot from the edge of the box that took a deflection on its way to the corner of the net. 1-1 at half time so not the score we had hoped for but plenty of time to put things right. Westlands only took 4 minutes to go in front when the second half started. Josh Payne made a run to the byeline and fired the ball across the face of the goal where STEVE ORMROD was on hand to turn it in. Warehams best chance of a goal was from a set piece, and with Westlands continually conceding free kicks in their own half, the home side enjoyed a spell of pressure but couldn't make it count. In the 76th minute JAMIE GREEN bulleted  a Luca Martin corner into the roof of the net and that more or less wrapped up the three points for Sports. MoM is the classy Tim Trevett who strolled through the game.

Line-up: Stroud: Plumley, Manley, Trevett, Howchin: Green, Barratt, Mullings: Payne, Ormrod, Martin.

Subs: Park, Darby

Saturday 16th October, Dorset Premier League:  WESTLAND SPORTS 6  SWANAGE TOWN 2

Westlands took the three points with a 6-2 win over Swanage Town in the Dorset Premier League at Alvington, however what looks like a comfortable victory did have some scary moments. As usual Sports had to make 5 changes from last week's line up but once again the lads who came in stepped up to the mark. Liam Samways came in from the reserves to take the keeper's gloves and there were starts for Matt Phillips, Jake Smeeton, Olly Crisp and Malik Kamal.

An even first 20 minutes ended with a penalty kick for Sports with 2 players brought down in quick succession in the box. DUNCAN McCABE smashed home the spot kick to put Westlands one up. Five minutes later JAKE SMEETON powered a header into the net from a Duncan McCabe corner to make it 2-0 and things looked a bit bleak for the visitors. A second penalty in the 38th minute gave Westlands the chance to make it three but Steve Ormrod’s spot kick was a bit weak and was saved by the diving Swanage keeper. Most spectators were scratching their heads wondering why Duncan McCabe hadn't taken it but nevertheless Westlands were in a comfortable position, leading 2-0 at half time..

With nothing to lose Swanage came out fighting in the second half and caught Westlands cold. In the 49th minute a through ball caught the home defence all at sea and their number 7 ran through to drive the ball into the far corner. Three minutes later, when Westlands carelessly lost possession, it was the Swanage number 6 who accepted the gift, drilling in a fine shot from 18 yards to make it level pegging at 2-2. Sports (and the spectators !) were shell shocked by this turnaround but got their act together quickly, MALIK KAMAL winning the ball in the Swanage box and burying it in the far corner. Back in front, Westlands were able to take control albeit with a bit of good fortune in the 60th minute when an ADAM BARRATT cross drifted into the far top corner of the net to make it 4-2. Swanage were a bit unlucky in the 70th minute when a low shot came back off the post and rebounded to safety. But 5 minutes later ADAM BARRATT converted a lovely cross from Duncan McCabe with a diving header to make it 5-2 and the writing was on the wall for Swanage. However they weren’t giving up without a fight and a thumping shot from their centre half crashed off the crossbar. Just to make sure Westlands added a 6th goal in the 86th minute when Duncan McCabe burst through the Swanage defence and squared the ball to PETE PARK who slid it into the net to finish the scoring. MoM goes to Duncan McCabe for a productive afternoon with one goal and three assists.

Line-up: Samways: Plumley, Ormrod, Phillips, Howchin: Smeeton, Barratt, McCabe: Payne, Kamal, Crisp.

Subs: Park.

Saturday 11th October, Dorset Premier League:  WESTLAND SPORTS 1  SHERBORNE TOWN RES 0

One goal was enough to separate the teams in an exciting match with local rivals Sherborne Town Reserves at Alvington Lane.  With Mark Cuff, Jonny Manley, Dan Ewens and Jake Smeeton all missing it was all change for Westlands again. There were welcome returns for Tim Trevett, Duncan McCabe and Lewis Howchin and new signing Sam Stroud took over in goal. The visitors had an early scare when a Jamie Green thunderbolt smashed off the crossbar and a couple of runs from Josh Payne had them on the retreat. Gradually however Sherborne settled into the game with plenty of possession but they never really tested Sports new keeper while at the other end Westlands looked dangerous with their quick breaks. Duncan McCabe went close with a free kick then just before the break, in the 44th minute, Sports made the breakthrough. Duncan McCabe fired over a corner and STEVE ORMROD bulletted a header into the net. An opportune moment for Sports to score as Sam Plumley was cooling his heels in the sin bin at the time ! Half time 1-0 Westlands.

Sports upped their game as the second half started and could have increased their lead when Steve Ormrod headed wide from a good position. The tackles were flying in now and a flurry of yellow cards was then followed by a red for Sherborne’s ex-Westland player Haydn Hodges leaving them a man down for the remaining 20 minutes. Sherborne, spurred on by the setback, threw everyone forward and were very nearly rewarded for their efforts when Westlands keeper Sam Stroud pulled off a superb save from point blank range. Westlands responded with some nice possession football to see out time and secure a hard fought victory.

Steve Ormrod gets the MoM award for that match-winning goal.

Line-up: Stroud: Plumley, Trevett, Chorley, Howchin: Green, Barratt, McCabe: Payne, Ormrod, Cauldwell.

Subs: Crisp, Martin, Kamal.

Saturday 2nd October, Somerset Senior Cup, Rnd 2:  WESTLAND SPORTS 3 CHILCOMPTON 4

Westlands exited the Somerset Senior cup with a disappointing 4-3 defeat by Chilcompton at Alvington Lane. In horrendous conditions both teams served up a thrilling end to end game which resulted in a narrow win for the visitors. Surprisingly Sports made 5 changes to the team who won so convincingly in the DPL Cup last week. Chilcompton are the cup holders so this was always going to be a tough match but Westlands got off to the worst possible start conceding the opening goal in the 4th minute, a shot from outside the box from Chili's Harry Barter. In the 8th minute however Sports struck back, JOSH PAYNE burying a Fin Cauldwell cross. In the 16th minute Barter was again given room on the edge of the Westlands box and he duly smacked in goal number 2 for the visitors. Jonny Manley then went off injured for Westlands and was replaced by Luca Martin with Steve Ormrod dropping back into defence. A minute later though it was 2-2 when FREDDY CHORLEY headed in a Jake Smeeton corner.

2-2 Half time. In the 55th minute Westlands took the lead for the first time when JOSH PAYNE slotted in a nice goal. Unfortunately Sports could only hold onto their lead for 5 minutes as Chili's Monty Burgess cut in from the left and drilled an unstoppable shot into the far opposite corner. 3-3 with half an hour left meant the game could go either way. In the 80th minute, with Westlands tiring, it was Chilcompton who bagged the winner. That man Barter again struck from close range this time to complete his hat-trick and secure his team's place in the next round.

MoM is Josh Payne, his 2 goals being the bright spark in a disappointing day for Westlands.

Line-up: Cuff: Plumley, Manley, Chorley, Ewens: Green, Barratt, Smeeton: Payne, Ormrod, Cauldwell.

Subs: Crisp, Martin, Howchin.

Saturday 26th Sept, Dorset Premier League Cup, Rnd 2:  WESTLAND SPORTS 5  SWANAGE TOWN 1

Westlands progressed to the next round of the DPL Cup with a 5-1 victory over Swanage Town at Alvington. Sports dominated the first half playing some neat passing football and it was no real surprise when they went ahead in the 17th minute, FREDDY CHORLEY forcing the ball over the line after two attempts had been blocked. Steve Ormrod was proving a handful for the Swanage defenders and in the 33rd minute he burst through, drew the keeper and slipped the ball to LUCA MARTIN who had an easy finish. In the 39th minute the visitors pulled one back with Westlands again giving away a "gift" goal. Keeper Mark Cuff came out for a ball he was never going to get and was lobbed neatly by a Swanage forward to make it 2-1 !  Sports soon atoned for this error by regaining their 2-1 lead a minute later, DUNCAN McCABE driving in a shot from the edge of the box. Half-time 3-1.

The second half never matched up to the first as both teams got bogged down in the midfield with neither keeper really troubled. In the 88th minute however a FIN CAULDWELL shot was scooped out by a defender with his hand but the referee awarded the goal as he reckoned the ball had crossed the line. A decision which did the Swans defender a favour as the alternative decision was red card and a penalty to Sports. But the action was not finished as STEVE ORMROD thumped in a shot in the 90th minute that took a huge deflection off a defender and looped over the keeper into the back of the net making the final score 5-1.MoM goes to skipper Adam Barratt who led from the front with an energetic 90 minutes in midfield.

Line-up: Cuff: Park, Manley, Chorley, Howchin: McCabe, Barratt, Kamal: Martin, Ormrod, Cauldwell.

Subs: Crisp, Mullings.

Saturday 18th Sept, Dorset Premier League:  WESTLAND SPORTS 1  BALTI SPORTS 1

A poor effort from Westlands at Alvington, drawing 1-1 with Balti Sports in the Dorset Premier League. Westlands again had half a team "unavailable" and this time we didn't get away with it. Balti also had players missing so we should still have been capable of getting a result but we were just not up to it on the day. The problems started in the first minute. Westlands had a goal kick but chose to try and pass the ball around in their own penalty area. Predictably this ended in disaster with a Balti player having a tap in to put the visitors 1-0 up. Crazy start by the home team and things didn’t get much better. Although having most of the pressure in the remaining 44 minutes of the half, Westlands continually had too many touches in front of goal and too many crosses put into the keeper’s arms. Balti defended strongly with good blocking and a little help from the post on one occasion. Half-time 0-1.

Predictably Westlands came out strongly in the second half and eventually the pressure paid off, second half sub FINLAY CAULDWELL scrambling the ball in at the far post off a defender. As we got into the last 15 minutes things got a bit messy. Balti were determined to hang on to what they had and the temperature got a bit heated to say the least. In the final couple of minutes Balti nearly snatched all three points when a shot from about 25 yards out cannoned off the inside of the post. Full time 1-1 with neither side taking much credit from the game. MoM goes to Jon Manley who looked the classiest player on the park.

Line-up: Cuff: Plumley, Manley, Chorley, Ewens: McCabe, Barratt, Crisp: Payne, Martin, Park.

Subs: Houchin, Cauldwell, Mullings.

Saturday 11th Sept, Dorset Premier League:  WESTLAND SPORTS 4  BOURNEMOUTH SPORTS 2

Westlands got back on the rails with a 4-2 victory over Bournemouth Sports but it was definitely a game of two halves at Alvington as a late flurry by the visitors brightened up a match that had looked a bit one sided in the first half. Again a much changed Westlands team took the field with unavailables adding to the normal injuries and suspensions. After a an even opening period Westlands opened the scoring in the 14th minute when MALIK KAMAL controlled the ball with his back to goal, managed to turn despite the close attention of the Bournemouth keeper and fire the ball into the back of the net from close range. Westlands quickly followed up with a second goal, a 20 yard dipping free kick from DUNCAN McCABE that flew into the far corner. Westlands were in charge now and a thumping header from STEVE ORMROD from a corner made it 3-0 after 30 minutes. Finally, a minute before half time, DUNCAN McCABE smashed a trademark low drive into the net from 20 yards to make it 4-0 at half time.

In the second half, Bournemouth, with nothing to lose, rolled up their sleeves and upped their game, taking control of the midfield. With a passive Westlands seemingly happy to protect what they had it was the visitors who did most of the pressing. However Bournemouth were unable to convert their pressure into goals although Westlands tendancy to overplay at the back did present them with a few chances. Eventually, with only 4 minutes left, a jersey tug at a corner gave Bournemouth the chance to reduce the arrears and their centre forward Jack Voisey duly slotted in the penalty. Finally in the dying seconds Bournemouth's Jack Voisey scored again with a neat header when unmarked at the far post. That made it a more realistic score line as Bournemouth had played well despite that first half. From Westlands point of view another patchy performance but another welcome three points.

Duncan McCabe gets the MoM for two cracking goals and a tidy performance in midfield.

Line-up: Cuff: Plumley, Manley, Green, Howchin: McCabe, Kamal, Barratt: Martin, Ormrod, Park.

Subs: Payne, Mullings, Crisp.

Saturday 4th Sept, Dorset Premier League: MERLEY COBHAM 4  WESTLAND SPORTS 3

A 4-3 loss at Merley Cobham saw Westlands suffer their first defeat of the season. Merley came out the traps fast and blew Westlands away with 2 goals in the first ten minutes which gave the visitors a mountain to climb. Nevertheless Sports regrouped and although under constant pressure managed to get through to half time only 2 goals behind. The next goal was vital and when JOSH PAYNE slotted the ball into the corner of the net after 60 minutes it was game on. Unfortunately Westlands soon went 2 behind again when they conceded a header at the near post from a corner. However Sports were getting a bit of a grip on the game now and after some good build-up DUNCAN McCABE drilled in a low shot from 20 yards to make it 3-2. Once again Westlands were unable keep the one goal deficit for long as they conceded a scrambled goal after some indecisive defending to go 4-2 down. Once again however Westlands fought back and another DUNCAN McCABE daisycutter from 20 yards flew into the corner of the net to put Westlands back in with a shout. Unfortunately Sports couldn't find an equaliser and ended up losing by the odd goal which was quite remarkable after the first half when we could have been four or five down at half time. Things improved dramatically in the second half with the pace and movement of Josh Payne and Luca Martin causing the Merley defence some problems. Josh Payne gets man of the match for a lovely goal and two assists.

Line-up: Cuff: Manley, Trevett, Phillips: Plumley, McCabe, Kamal, Barratt, Ewens: Cauldwell, Payne.

Subs: Martin, Mullings, Park.

Saturday 28th August, Dorset Premier League:  WESTLAND SPORTS 2 DORCHESTER SPORTS 0

Another sunny afternoon at Alvington and the supporters treated to another Westlands win with a 2-0 success over Dorchester Sports. The visitors could have gone ahead early on, hitting the woodwork twice, but Westlands always looked the more composed side. In the 30th minute STEVE ORMROD raced clear of the Dorch defence and slid the ball past the keeper to make it 1-0 to Westlands and that was the half-time score. In the second half Westlands dominated the game and after missing a couple of good chances JAMIE GREEN notched the second from the penalty spot to allow Westlands to relax for the remaining half hour. Jake Smeeton, who was tireless in the midfield, gets the MOM.

Line-up: Cuff: Manley, Trevett, Chorley: Plumley, Green, Smeeton, Barratt, Park: Ormrod, Payne.

Subs: Forshaw, Kamal, Phillips, Martin.

Tuesday 24th August, Dorset Premier League:  WESTLAND SPORTS 2 BRIDPORT RES 0

Westlands enjoyed the summer sun last night with a 2-0 win over Bridport Reserves in the DPL. Although enjoying the majority of the possession in the first half and playing some nice football Sports failed to turn it into goals so the match was tied 0-0 at half time. All that changed two minutes into the second half when DAN EWENS drilled a shot from the left wing across the keeper into the far corner to open the scoring. On the hour mark DUNCAN McCABE rifled in a free kick from 20 yards to make it 2-0 and really that was job done. No more goals but a promising debut by new signing Finlay Cauldwell who came on for the last 20 minutes and gave the Bridport defence some problems with his pace. Another good three points and a fourth clean sheet clocked up for Sports keeper Mark Cuff but the MoM goes to Jonny Manley who is back to his imperious best this season, never put a foot wrong !

Line-up: Cuff: Manley, Trevett, Chorley: Plumley, McCabe, Smeeton, Barratt, Ewens: Kamal, Darby.

Subs: Cauldwell, Crisp, Park.

Saturday 21st August, Dorset Premier League:  WESTLAND SPORTS 2 HAMWORTHY UTD RES 0

With Jon Manley, Dan Ewens, Josh Payne, Adam Barratt, Luca Martin, Jake Smeeton & Niall Woollard all missing our squad was stretched to the maximum but we still felt we had enough quality on the field to win this match. As Sports struggled to settle, the young and enthusiastic visitors were looking lively but couldn’t find a finishing touch. All that changed after half an hour when Westland’s youngster OLLY CRISP headed in a Duncan McCabe cross at the far post to put Sports 1-0 up. Eight minutes later skipper JAMIE GREEN burst into the Hamworthy box, eluded three defenders and stuck the ball in the bottom corner to make it 2-0 at half time.The writing was on the wall for the visitors now as Westlands took control in the second 45 and never really looked troubled from then on. With no more goals the game petered out to a fairly comfortable Westlands win in the end. MoM goes to Malik Kamal who started out wide but once he moved into centre midfield he worked hard and created some openings.

Line-up: Cuff, Plumley, Chorley, Trevett, Howchin, McCabe, Kamal, Green, Crisp, Ormrod, Darby.

subs: Park, Phillips, Forshaw

Wednesday 18th August, Dorset Premier League:  STURMINSTER NEWTON 0 WESTLAND SPORTS 0

Westlands injury problems mounted up with 2 more players injured during the 0-0 draw at Sturminster Newton last night. Josh Payne limped off with a hamstring pull after only 2minutes and Niall Woollard ended up in casualty after dislocating his shoulder after 25 minutes. Add these to the three players (Adam Barratt, Freddie Chorley & Olly Crisp) who were sidelined after saturday's game and it paints a rather grim picture for new manager Paul Murphy. Nevertheless Sports put up a good performance to gain a point against a strong Stur team. Sports looked the better side in the first half but in the second 45 the home team pressed hard but couldn't crack a resiliant Sports defence. A Steve Ormrod shot that slipped past the post and a strong penalty shout when Lewis Howchin was brought down from behind were Westlands best moments of the half and they lived a bit dangerously near the death with the woodwork and a super save from Mark Cuff coming to the rescue. Westlands defence looked well organised throughout and the MoM goes to Tim Trevett who looked composed in the centre of the defence.

Line-up: Cuff, Plumley, Manley, Trevett, Ewens, McCabe, Kamal, Green, Payne, Ormrod, Woollard.

subs: Darby, Howchin, Park, Phillips.

Saturday 14th August, Dorset Premier League:  WESTLAND SPORTS 2 POOLE BOROUGH 0

Sports (and new manager Paul Murphy) got off to a winning start in the Dorset Premier League on saturday. Facing newly promoted Poole Borough, Sports got off to a flying start in the first minute when JOSH PAYNE raced through the visitor's defence, rounded the keeper, and stroked the ball into the empty net. Poole rallied after this setback and gradually put Westlands under pressure and could well have equalised before half time, Mark Cuff and a post coming to Sports rescue. In the second half Westlands took control again but the points were never safe until the 60th minute when man-of-the-match JOSH PAYNE sidefooted a low cross from Duncan McCabe into the net. Not a vintage performance from Sports who had a few players missing but it's a decent start and a welcome 3 points.

Line-up: Cuff, Plumley,Manley, Chorley, Trevett, McCabe, Kamal, Smeeton, Barratt, Payne, Darby. 

subs: Crisp, Park, Phillips.